Chapter 10

"So, back at the parlour when we danced... That was like our song, huh?" Niall asked me after opening the door to his car for me. I stepped out onto the gravel and started walking towards my front door. The sun was setting off in the distance and it contrasted an array of purples and pinks into the sky.

I chuckled dryly. "That was not our song. We don't have a song," I told the anxious boy behind me.

Niall quickened his pace. Once he finally fell into step with me, he shoved his hands into his pockets and turned his head to look at me. "Yes it was. It was the first time we danced together and that was the song that was playing. Therefor, it was our song."

"No it wasn't," I objected again, halfway to the door. This short little walk up the driveway and to the porch was feeling like an eternity.

Niall laughed, obviously getting a kick out of pestering me. "It was something. It had to be something. I felt you grabbing my shirt." He flashed me a cheeky smile and I resisted the urge to slap it right off his face.

"You gave me a ride home from school because Louis was busy. That's all it was," I lied. Deep down inside of me, I felt like today was maybe a date. I secretly enjoyed every single moment of it, but I would never tell him that.

"Oh, right," Niall started sarcastically. "Like you would've rather had Louis pick you up and drive you home."

He was right; I was dreading the next time Louis and I were alone together. Not that I genuinly hated him, which I kind of don't, it was just bound to be horrendously awkward. It's not because I didn't want to talk to Charlotte or my sisters and family again; it's because I wasn't ready.

"Um, hello? Earth to Aubrey Tommo."

I blinked my eyes quite a few times before snapping back into reality. Niall and I were standing on the porch and his hand was on the knob. His bright blue eyes were focused only on me and he had a tiny smile playing on his lips.

"Thanks for today, Niall," I said quitely while he opened the door and stepped into the house. I pursed my lips before turning around to face him. "I actually kind of sort of enjoyed it."

"I knew you would. Thanks for telling me about you." He looked down for a moment, then back up at me. The poor guy's face was flushed and I wondered what had gotten him so loopy. "I had a good time... Can I hug you?"

"No." I took a step back into the kitchen to be slapped in the face by the most amazing smell of food I've ever sniffed in my life. Swiveling around, I saw the remaining boys - Louis, Harry, Zayn, and Liam - standing around the kitchen.

"Hey, look whose home." I grimaced at Harry's words; this place would never be home. It was then that I realized that every male in the room, other than Niall and my dad, was without a shirt.

Louis turned around and greeted me with a huge smile. "Hey."

"Hi."

Louis wiped his hands on a spare dish towel and leaned forward on the island in the middle of the kitchen. It was sprinkled with ingredients and condoments. "Did you have a good first day back? Sorry I couldn't come get you, dad took me to go shopping so we could make diner."

I ignored his first questions and licked my lips. Does Louis work out? And when did he get so many tattoos? "What did you cook?"

"We cooked," Zayn answered, sending Louis a dirty look. "Louis watched and directed."

Harry pulled himself onto the counter, his legs dangling off the side. "We made chicken alfredo with fettuccini noodles. It's almost finished if you're hungry. But you can have some right now if you're willing to beg for it." He smirked.