Chapter 5

I got home hours later. To be exact, thirteen hours later. When I left, it was ten in the morning. Now, as I'm arriving back at home, it's eleven at night. I just couldn't stay there. I couldn't possibly be home to face Louis. This was their first official day here and I went M.I.A. Twenty-seven unanswered calls from dad and four beggind texts from Louis later, I decided to come back.

It's not like they needed to be worried about me; I was only across town at a small café. My dad knows I would never go far.

I turned the knob on the front door, noticing the porch light was still on. Once I stepped inside the suffocatingly cozy threshold, I made sure to turn it off. Maybe dad left it on in case I came home. I sighed, hanging my leather jacket up on the coatrack.

The house was silent. I could hear the distant chirps from crickets outside, confirming my thoughts of it being near eleven at night. I'm praying no one is awake to yell at me or scold me for running away unexpectantly. Could they really blame me? If they were in my shoes, they'd be doing the same thing.

A yawn escaped my slightly parted lips as I kicked my white converse on the floor beside the coatrack. The smell of cologne was fanning through the air and distant snoring filled my ears. I mentally groaned at the thought of all the men in the house. I never really got much attention from guys, so this is weird for me.

Maybe I should listen to Paige and quit acting like I have a stick up my arse.

Maybe...

I dropped my purse on the island in the kitchen as I passed, cursing at myself for staying out so late. Now I'm extremely sleepy and will sleep in, then dad will get onto me and I'll roll my eyes and pretend to ignore him.

Trudging up the stairs tiredly, I found myself grasping the rail for support. My eyes were fluttering closed, growing heavier with each step I took. My free hand flew up to my head and landed on the winter-white beanie.

I finally reached the top of the stairs and inwardly gasped.

There was a figure - a person - sitting in front of my bedroom door. The person's head was leaning back against the doorframe and his hood covered most of his hair. As soon as the mysterious person spotted me staring at them, they stood up and dusted their jeans off.

"Aubrey." The person startled me, walking up to me with a very fast pace. Only then did I realize who the creepy person was. A big pair of grey eyes stared down at me. "I was worried sick about you."

"Louis?" I croaked. This was our first real conversation since he arrived. I honestly expected him to give up trying and avoid me all together. I was so used to people giving up on me, I just thought Louis wouldn't be any different.

"Where were you?" Louis pressed on, placing a hand on my left shoulder. I tensed up awkwardly. Wow, I haven't felt Louis' touch in so long. It sent an uncomfortable shiver up my spine. "Everyone was worried, Aubrey. I'm so glad you're safe."

There was an uncomfortable silence between I spoke again. Louis removed his hand from my shoulder, but kept his stance right in front of me. His height, slightly deeper voice and minty breath against my forehead kind of intimidated me.

"You waited up on me?" I asked, my voice sounding much quieter and less forced than before. My knees felt weak and my core felt like jelly. For some odd, unknown reason, Louis did that to me.

He nodded vigorously. "Of course I did. I had to make sure you were safe," he spoke softly to me. He treated me like I was still the delicate little twelve-year-old who was basically putty in his hands. Back then, I would do anything to be with him. I was like Robin and he was Batman.