Chapter 13

nash on the side WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BOY OMG

~_~_~_~_~_~_~

It was the last day of school, since there was a week of school vacation. I tapped my foot anxiously. I was sitting in photography, the kids around me seeming to be just as anxious as I was to get out. The teacher, Mr. Silva, still chattered, oblivious to the fact that no one was really listening to him explain how to set a film into the camera.

            “Hey Aria,” Tom, who sat behind me, nudged my seat with his foot.

            I turned to look at him over my shoulder, and he smiled.

            “Are you coming to Ras’ party tonight?”

            I furrowed my eyebrows. Another party from  Ras? Where are his parents? I sighed, curling my hand into a fist. I still hadn’t seen my mother yet. She was either not there at all, or just coming and going without me realizing.

            I shrugged at him with one shoulder, “Maybe.”

            “You should. I’ll save you a dance?” he raised his blonde eyebrows, his big brown eyes suggestive.

            I rolled my eyes, waving him off and turning around. I could her him still laughing quietly behind me. He was a major flirt.

The bell rang, and you could already hear kids filing out of their classrooms all around the school. People in the classroom pushed their chairs back with loud screeches, while I did the same. I hitched my backpack over my shoulder, brushing my hair aside with my fingers.

Walking out of the room, Anna was at her locker twisting the dial. Her face was set in concentration, and I knew she was struggling to remember her locker combination. I rolled my eyes and hurried over to her. I bumped her over and twisted her locker combo, opening it for her. She had a frustrated scowl on her face.

            “How can you remember that and I can’t?” she muttered, pushing books into the locker, and slamming it shut.

            I shrugged, looping an arm through hers as we trooped down the hallway, rushing past a row of three teachers who were walking slowly down the hallway, obviously not caring that people were trying to get by. I made a face at them.

            “Because we’re best friends?” I guessed, grinning at her.

She made a weird expression. Guilt. It disappeared quickly, and she replaced it with a wide smile.

            “Right,” she nodded, “Best friends for life,” she laughed, bumping my hip. I bumped back, and we made it outside to the cold. I shivered in my denim jacket, and wrapped the scarf I had in my hands around my neck, nuzzling into it to keep warm.

            “So cold,” she shivered. She zipped her hoodie up.

            I nodded in agreement. “Hey,” I remembered, “Are you going to that party?”

            She nodded in a ‘duh’ way, “Of course! His are the best.”

            “I will too. I’ll come over and get ready with you, then?” I asked. She nodded again, and waved over her shoulder as she made her way to her car. I walked to mine, catching a glimpse of her watching me. She was biting her lip, looking nervous. I frowned, turning away. What were those expressions for?

I got into my car, shivering for a second as the wind blew in. I cranked the heat up all the way, and then realized it didn’t work. I scowled. Of course it didn’t. I banged onto the dashboard in frustration.