10. Safe

The phone rang and Norah got up to answer it. "Hello?"

"Good morning, Norah. It's Brad, sorry to call you so early..."

She looked at Olivia, rolling her eyes. "It's fine, Brad, is something wrong?"

Olivia's eyebrows waggled suggestively as Brad continued. "No, I was just talking with some friends and we are going out tonight for drinks at the Vale. I thought you might want to come and meet a few of the locals, make some more friends and all that."

Norah bit her lip. "I don't know..."

"Come on, just as friends," he protested. "It will be good for you to get out of that house for awhile." 

Brad was right. She did need to get out of the house and hanging out with some normal people might do her good, after all the madness of the last few days.

"Alright," she conceded. "What time do I need to get there?"

"Come by around eight. I can pick you up, if you want -"

"No it's fine, I'll walk there. See you tonight."

She hung up after they said their goodbyes and she thought of Rylan. If she was going out then there was no need for him to come to her house. Surely they wouldn't try to attack her twice in two days? They couldn't be that desperate to get rid of her.

"Hey Olivia, before you go do you have Rylan's number?" Norah grabbed a pen from the kitchen counter. "I need to call him."

"Oh sure." Olivia read out his number and Norah wrote it on a scrap piece of paper. "You going to ask him out?"

"Ask him to get out more like it," Norah muttered.

Olivia frowned. "Don't do that. I know he can be annoying sometimes, but it's better having him here. I'd feel better knowing you were being protected."

"I don't need protecting though."

"You kind of do, Norah. If you were up against a werewolf, you would lose, we are faster and stronger than you. Please reconsider."

Norah heard the concern in her voice and her shoulders dropped. "I'll think about it."

"Good! Now I have to get to work, Gail is going to kill me for coming in late." She waved goodbye and ran out the door, slamming it loudly and Norah waited two seconds before reaching for the phone. She had considered it, but the thought of some guy living in her house irked her.

The phone rang a couple of times before answering. "Rylan."

She jumped at his abruptness. "Hey Rylan, it's Norah."

"What's wrong?" he asked sharply. "Did someone come by the house?"

"No, only Olivia. I just wanted to -"

"Can this wait until I get home, then? I'm busy."

"No it can't," she blurted. "I don't want you staying here. I appreciate you saving me last night, but I think we're even now -" she broke off as he snorted and she heard the sound of a saw in the background. "What's so funny?"

"We are far from even, Norah."

She could hear the smile in his voice and her jaw clenched. "We are even -"

"See you tonight -"

"No you won't! I'm going out -"

"With who?"

"Brad and his friends," she ground out.

"Where, I'll meet you -"

"No thanks, I don't need chaperoning."