14. Coward

The forest grew thicker as she ran. Norah desperately wanted to wake up - she could hear Daniel's laugh all around, echoing through the trees and she tried to move faster but her feet wouldn't listen. She moved as if out for a morning jog and the sound of footfalls grew closer

"Norah."

Liam appeared before her and she gasped, running straight into him. He grabbed her, forcing her around and Daniel was there.

"Surprise," he grinned, reaching for her throat -

Norah gasped, shooting up straight in bed. Breathing heavily, she looked around her room, closing her eyes in relief. It was over for another night.

She shrieked as the bedroom door shot open and Rylan burst in. "What is it?" he asked sharply.

"What?" she tried to regain control of her breathing.

"You called out like you were being attacked." He looked around. "I can't smell anyone."

"It was no one, just a bad dream."

Rylan stood at the edge of her bed, his outline barely visible in the darkness. "How long have you been having bad dreams?"

"I don't know, over a week now maybe."

"Shit, Norah, you should tell me these things." He sat on the edge of the bed and she crossed her legs automatically.

"And what can you do about a bad dream?" she snapped.

Silence.

"Are the dreams about what you won't tell me?"

Norah looked out the window, unsure of how to answer. Rylan muttered to himself and shifted closer. "Why won't you tell me?"

"Because it's foolish and it's my problem." Norah had decided the night before on the drive home that she couldn't tell Rylan about Daniel. He was so wrapped up in his own problems, hers just seemed silly in comparison. She wasn't about to dump more on his lap. Her only problem now was trying to stop him from prying.

A hand touched her knee and she jumped slightly. "Fear is foolish," he said softly. "But it can still paralyse us if we let it. Let me help."

She moved his hand away reluctantly. She wanted nothing more than to lean on someone, to have someone share her craziness with, but she just couldn't.

"How about I make you a deal?" she said quietly. "When I'm ready to face my fears, you'll be the first one I ask for help. I'm just not ready now, I can't do it. Does that sound fair?"

She heard his hand running across his stubble and he scratched his head. "I guess I have to settle for that, don't I?"

"You do."

He got up to leave and Norah leaned over to turn the lamp on. He turned back, eyes squinting in the light. "What are you doing?"

"Reading."

"Go back to sleep."

She shook her head. "Not yet."

Rylan shook his head and she buried her nose in the book from her bedside table. She hadn't even read one line when it was snatched from her hands. "Hey, what are you doi -"

The words died on her lips as Rylan turned her lamp off and lay on the bed beside her. "Rylan! Get the hell out."

"Go to sleep."

"I said I wanted to read, get out now before I kick you out." She yelped as he grabbed her, dragging her back down and then he rolled, lying half on top of her. He was larger than her, and half his weight alone was enough to pin her down. She tried to kick him but his leg on top of hers didn't budge. His breath ruffled her hair and a small noise of annoyance erupted from her throat.