6. Threat

Norah blinked, sure she had to be dreaming. Cup raised half way to her mouth, she watched Rylan follow Olivia back to the counter, thinking she was having some sort of mental break. Her eyes roved over him, desperate to find some sign that last night hadn’t just been some crazy dream. There were no signs of pain in his expression, no stiffness in the way he moved and no bruising healed that quickly. A ball of nausea settled in the pit of her stomach.

He had been on the verge of death last night. No one had that much colour in their cheeks after losing so much blood. She squinted, trying to determine if he was wearing makeup, but it all looked natural.

“Where were you last night?” Olivia asked him as she prepared a sandwich for him.

If he knew Norah was burning holes into his back he didn’t show it. “Nowhere. Just went for a run and then to bed.”

“Whose bed? It wasn’t yours,” she accused, slapping some meat on the bread. “Luke said you were out all night.”

“That’s none of your business,” she could hear the smile in his voice. “I will say one thing; she was good with her hands.”

“Too much I –“

The sound of smashing china rang through the café as the cup slipped from Norah’s fingers. The hot coffee sprayed her jumper and she shot back from the table as she felt it seep through onto her skin.

“Norah! Are you alright?” Gail and Olivia both headed over to her. “Did you burn yourself?”

She shook her head, pulling her jumper off. “I don’t think so.” Her skin felt hot but it wasn’t burnt. “I’m sorry about the cup, I can pay for it –“

“Don’t be silly!” Gail chided as she cleaned the mess. “It’s just a cup.”

“Oh my god, Norah what happened to your arms?” She followed Olivia’s gaze to the bruises which were beginning to form on her biceps from Rylan’s grip. She hadn’t even noticed them in the shower this morning.

“Nothing,” she muttered, covering them subconsciously. “I must have done it in my sleep or something.” She picked up her book, feeling Rylan’s gaze from across the room. She suddenly felt as if she were exposed, unnerved by the feel of his stare. “I’m going to go home and get changed.”

“Let me make you another coffee,” Olivia started to walk back to the counter.

“No, its fine, thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She needed to get out of there. She kept her eyes lowered as she moved past Rylan, too nervous she would start screaming at him if they made eye contact. Once outside the café, she walked quickly down the street, one hand clenched over her chest to stop her pounding heart from breaking free.

Her mind was going in circles, trying to figure out how this was all possible. He should have been lying somewhere, in agony. Those slashes had been deep, or at least she had thought they were. Maybe the night had made them appear deeper – no! She had cleaned them, they had caused him pain, and the bruises on her arms were proof of that.

She was nearly at the wharf and came to a stop. She’d forgotten the damn bleach. Looking back up the street, she bit her lip. She didn’t want to risk the chance of bumping into Rylan again. Turning up a side street, she went the long way around to the grocery store. There were few houses in the opposite and a small park where a few children were playing. She passed them by blindly, images of blood and wounds playing through her mind.

Forgetting her coffee stained clothes, she headed into the grocery store to buy the bleach. Again, another factor that proved she wasn’t going mad. No matter how many times she ran through the events of last night in her head, there was just no way to explain his miraculous recovery.