CHAPTER 20

‘Rachael this is a surprise,’ Diana smiled welcomingly at her sister.

‘Good afternoon,’ Rachael hugged her sister.  ‘I hope I am not visiting at an inopportune moment.’

‘No, not at all.  It is just me home right now,’ she smiled apologetically.

‘Stanton revealed something rather disturbing,’ Rachael’s eyes looked troubled.

‘What about?’ Diana tucked her arm through Rachael’s and guided her to the sitting room.

Rachael looked around nervously.

‘The servants are in the kitchen,’ Diana assured her.  ‘I was just about to call for tea.’

‘Tea can wait,’ Rachel pursed her lips.  ‘Stanton told me he saw Earl Swain’s carriage at a rather disreputable establishment.’

‘What on earth was Stanton doing in such a place?’

Rachael shook her head and smiled.  She had asked that very question.  ‘He was in his carriage driving past, when he observed the earl’s carriage stationary, outside I think he called it the
Brown Orchid.”

‘The Blue Orchid!’ Diana corrected.  ‘Good heavens it is a place of debauchery, harlotry and worse,’ she injected sharply.  ‘Only commoners attend there to pay for their sordid pleasures.’

‘So what was the earl doing there?’ Rachael asked in alarm.

‘We should not make accusations without facts or witnesses,’ Diana cautioned.

‘The earl seemed to be a nobleman of high standing and of unquestionable reputation,’ Rachael provided.  ‘Madison has not one negative word to say about him.’

‘I have also noticed his impeccable manners.  He is of good standing in Cricklewoods, and is a respected peer,’ Diana added.

‘I am confused,’ Rachael looked troubled.  ‘I do not want my only child being trapped in a dangerous marriage to a potential psychopath.  After all Madison is an attractive catch to any suitor, with the more than generous dowry she would take to the gentleman she marries.’

‘I know what you mean,’ Diana reached for Rachael’s hand.  ‘I would hate for my Sarah to be in a similar situation.  ‘What is Stanton doing about it?’

‘Nothing just yet,’ Rachael was staring into space.  ‘But he said he would discreetly seek counsel on the matter.’

‘I am rather thirsty after this disturbing conversation, Rachael.’

‘Yes, please call for tea.’

         ‘Dora!’ Rankin bellowed from the top of the stairs, just outside his bed chamber.

‘Yes my lord,’ Dora ran to the bottom of the staircase breathlessly.  She feared it was going to be a long night tonight.  It was close on midnight and the earl was summoning her.  It could only be for one reason, she groaned, dreading what was to come.  If only she could find another job and be rid of this beast.  But times were tough, she could not allow her family to go to bed hungry each night.  As long as it was just her that suffered and not them, it was a small price to pay.

‘I cannot sleep,’ he grinned wickedly. He was in a night gown.  She was certain he was unclothed beneath it.

‘Shall I come to your chamber my lord?’  She prayed he would answer in the negative.

‘Of course.  What do you think I require a glass of hot milk?’

‘No,’ she proceeded to climb the stairs.  Rankin returned to his chamber to wait for her.  When she walked in, he was completely naked and fully aroused.  He grinned devilishly.  Fear engulfed Dora as she saw the rubber whip in Rankin’s hand.  He was playfully smacking his one palm with it.