CHAPTER 1

‘Sorry Mama, I beg your pardon?’

‘Madison, will you stop day dreaming and pay attention.  The modiste is here to finish your fitting.’

‘Yes Mama,’ Madison reluctantly stood up.  She had been day dreaming about living in a castle,   married to a handsome earl or even a duke and having a hundred servants.  She dreamt of wearing fashionable gowns every day of the week, and the lavish balls she would be hosting in her enchanting castle.

‘Lady Madison, I have the most exquisite ivory muslin material to show you, and you will love the leaf green sash,’ the modiste murmured when they were alone.

‘I thought you are here to finish a fitting Sally,’ Madison smiled.

‘My lady when this material was delivered to me, I knew it would look splendid on you, so I’ve hidden it from everybody else,’ she spoke conspirationally.

‘Oh you are a dear Sally,’ Madison laughed.  ‘Yes, make me the most glamorous afternoon dress with it,’ her hand brushed over the silk sash draped across the cloth.

‘I intend to make a design to show off your tightly corseted torso, and I know just how to ensure such a close-fitting dress displays "the perfect fit."’

‘We are invited to an afternoon tea party next week perhaps it will be ready by then.’

‘You can count on me my lady.’

‘Oh thank you Sally,’ Madison hugged the modiste, ‘you are a dear.’

‘I have dressed you and Lady Sarah since you was sixteen,’ she smiled,’ you are my nicest customers.  Lady Sarah is an angel, but you must know you are my favourite.   You have the perfect body,’ Sally formed an hour glass shape in the air. ‘It is truly an art to drape you in a perfect dress,’ she smiled theatrically.

‘You have lifted my spirits this morning,’ Madison sighed.

‘Pray tell me why you are so disillusioned?’

‘Nobody has made an offer for me,’ Madison was economical with the truth. 

‘You and Lady Sarah had your come out last year.  Are you saying nobody made you an offer?’

 She did get half a dozen offers and declined every one of them.  Either the gentlemen were not with good looks or strapping enough for her, or their title was not impressive enough for her high standards.  She knew she was beautiful enough to attract viscounts, earls or even a duke.  She did come from one of the best and well bred families in the country.  The Sanfords could trace their heritage back for two hundred years.

The Sanfords had a comfortable and charming home in the country in Cricklewoods.    Madison loved their country home, the clean fresh air, and where everybody knew ever body else.  The community was loving and caring.  It was so different in London.    Madison’s parents, Baron Stanton Sanford and Baroness Rachel Sanford had rented a home in fashionable Berkley Square for two weeks for their daughter’s second season.  It was hoped that Madison would accept an offer during this season.  Madison disliked London.  The people were too conservative and pompous.    They were not as friendly as the people in Cricklewoods.  And London was just too busy and noisy.  When she did eventually marry, she hoped her husband would not desire to live in the city.  She detested it. 

  ‘I’m delighted Lady Sarah is here as well.  Tomorrow we have been invited for tea by one of the patronesses.  She is sure to present us with some vouchers for Almack’s.  ‘Perhaps I will be receiving some interesting offers this season,’ Madison smiled.

‘I’m sure you will my lady,’ Sally agreed with a smile.

Madison was appreciative that her cousin Lady Sarah and her parents Lord Gilbert and Lady Diana Buckley had also rented a home in London, so at least she would have enjoyable company.  Rachael and Diana were sisters.  Madison loved her cousin Sarah, they got along famously.  Whilst Sarah was the beautiful blonde with the striking blue eyes, Madison was a brunette with intelligent and expressive brown eyes.