PROLOGUE

‘I wouldn’t turn down an offer from him,’ Lady Sarah whispered, lowering her eyelids coquettishly.

Madison followed her cousin’s gaze, ‘Him?' She questioned with disdain.  ‘He does not even have a title.’
Her dismissal of the gentleman, was in stark contrast to her real feelings that she concealed so well.   She pretended not to watch his powerful frame drawing closer to them.  His unruly thatch of black hair curled down his collar having an animal vitality to it which the gentleman made no effort to tame.  His coat was of a rich sapphire, superfine and cut in a formal style showing not a single crease. 
Madison shut out the perfect symmetry of his broad expansive shoulders and lean hips.  As her eyes dipped downwards, she willed it to ignore the very muscular thighs and well toned calves that could only have been acquired through hard manual labour and lots of physical exercise.  Even when Madison wanted to drag her eyes away, she found he had the power to mesmerise her.  Madison knew the gentleman was fully aware of the potent effect he had over the opposite sex.   It was difficult to tear her eyes away from the glistening golden skin, firm square cut jaw, strongly defined cheekbones and the sculpted mouth could only be described as -----sensuous. 

What would it feel like to be kissed by those tempting lips...

‘Would you do me the honour of riding with me tomorrow?'

‘No, I have an appointment with my dressmaker,’ Madison blurted.

‘I was addressing Lady Sarah,’ Chadwick drawled lazily, his eyes clearly amused.

‘Oh.’

‘You do?’ Sarah questioned, she did not know of an appointment with the modiste.

‘Yes,’ Madison nudged her cousin’s arm.  ‘Not that I would decline your escort Mr. Rochester,’ she lied.

‘Indeed?’ He knew the chit was lying.  It was her that he wanted to take riding, but he had to put her in her place.

‘Eleven o’ clock is the official hour for morning calls.  Will that suit, Lady Sarah?’

‘I shall be ready Mr. Rochester,’ Sarah breathed, lifting her eager eyes to his.

‘Ladies,’ Chadwick bowed and took his leave.