Fork In The Road

There was one thing that Jack knew as he sat watching Deena lie to the poor bank attendant, pretending to be lovers wasn't going to be that difficult for them. Not for her, because she was an incredible liar- she had revenge to drive her. Not for him, because he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. He was mesmerized by her mouth whenever she threw her head back and gave out a hearty laugh. Her pearly whites twisted his gut. 

Deena entwined her fingers with his. "When Bobby asked me to marry him, I thought 'Mary Jackson, aren't you just the luckiest gal on earth'!" She giggled.

For a second Jack almost believed her southern accent was her true accent- she did it so well. 

"We're heading out on our honeymoon in a couple of hours and we couldn't help but think we'd be more relaxed if our valuables here," she patted her brown box "were tucked real nice and tight in a safe bank like this one. Isn't that right, darling?" 

She looked up at Jack with her big brown eyes. "That's right, Mary" Jack smiled.

"Well, you came to the right place!" the attendant beamed, starstruck by the fairytale she was watching. "There's just a couple of documents you have to fill out here and a few you have to pay. You'll need to make a bank account as well."  

Jack watched Deena fill out the paperwork. She handed the woman various documents before the woman stood. "Alright! You're all set. Let's go back and get you that box." 

Deena smiled a Jack. "Bobby honey, why don't you wait outside. I'll be just a jiffy." 

"Sure thing, sweetheart." Jack stood. Before Deena can walk away with the attendant he grabbed her arm spinning her around. 

"Wh-" Jack's lips cut her off. He sucked on her lower lip before biting it. 

"See you later." Jack winked at the attendant who was clearly more flushed than his 'wife'.

____

"Golly-jee, there sure are a lot of boxes in here." Deena giggled as they walked into the room. "Do you need a different key for each one. That must be very difficult to manage." 

"Oh no," the bank attendant, Sherry her name tag called her, began "the owners of the boxes have different keys. We just have the one." 

"That so?" 

"Sure is! Here we are" Sherry pointed at what would've been their box. 

Deena looked around for box number 25. It was a flat one. Papers probably. Important papers. She turned her attention back to Sherry. "I like you. I really do." 

"Why thank you, I feel the same way." Sherry blushed. 

"Which is why I really don't want to do this. But I kinda have to. You'd understand right?"

"What're you talking about?" Sherry was confused about Deena's accent change.

"Number 25," Deena began before pulling out Mr. Masser's key. "Open it." 

"I-I'm afraid I can't do that. You aren't authorized-" 

"Is this authorization enough?" Deena pointed the gun at Sherry. 

_______

Jack watched Deena stroll out of the bank with a grin on her face. A couple of moments went by before Deena stopped staring at the papers in her hand and tucked them in the box. 

"Why'd you kiss me?" she asked keeping her eyes on the road. 

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Jack considered pretending that he didn't hear the question. They just robbed a bank, this wasn't the right time for him to begin acting like a fucking pussy. Clenching his hand around the steering wheel, Jack decided to acknowledge the balls in his pants by speaking up. 

"We had to make it believable." 

She laughed. "You're a bad liar Bobby Parker, you know that?" 

"Parker?" 

"Yup. You look like a Parker." 

"What the fuck does a Parker look like?" he smoothly worked to change the subject. Truth was he didn't even fully understand why he kissed her the moment he did. It probably wasn't necessary. The glint in Deena's eyes were enough to convince anyone that she was in love. And maybe she was, maybe at the time she was thinking about Michael. 

"A Parker looks like a drunk New Yorker with the shards of his broken dreams digging too deep in his gut for him to do anything but continue working towards that dream." 

"I understand that this is broken." Jack moved his hand and tapped on her bare chest with two fingers. "and that sometimes you don't feel shit. But you gotta use your head and understand that some of us can still feel." 

Deena watched him for the longest time. "You won't be feeling much by the time our roads split between us." 

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" 

"It means I'm not a child Jack. I see the way you look at me. And that kiss. Seriously?"

A painful silence falls between them. 

"I take it you won't ever reciprocate." 

"I don't feel, remember?" 

"You know what I mean." 

Deena sighed. "Not until I take care of this." She looks down at the box on her lap. 

"When does this road split?" 

"Forks only appear when you're most hungry." 

"And what the fuck does that mean?" 

Jack hated the phrases she came up with. They all went over his head, and maybe they were over hers as well. Part of him felt like she wasn't showing herself. Wasn't being true to how she really felt. He was sure that kiss meant something to her. That one and all the ones before that. 

But this damn Michael has her twisted and buried with him. 

"Why don't we just seperate now?" 

"How would you get back?"