Seatbelts First!

She didn't get a second of shut eye. There was no way Deena would ever be able to sleep out in the car. Every rustle she heard startled her. Not because she was worried that one of the now many men after them would find them, but that someone who wasn't after them would. This looked like the perfect setting for a psycho killer to hunt for prey.

Jack on the other hand was sleeping like a baby. Not a single flinch of a muscle. She's never known anyone to sleep the way he did. In the same position from the moment he shut his eyes. Unmoving. At one point she put her finger underneath his nose to make sure that he was still breathing.

Sitting with her feet folded beneath her, Deena's back was to her door and body faced this insufferable man she found herself with. The wad of cash she stole was still in her pocket. Having counted it when he was asleep, she learned that the money she stole was probably previously stashed with cocaine. Some of the bills had white powder on them, and it didn't taste like sugar.

Those men were dealers. Dealers often traveled in packs and dealt across city lines. So their car was probably already tagged, and their description passed on.

If she was right, the heavens probably knew to trap her with a man like Mr. Tabarak. She brought nothing but trouble to the people who tried to help her. The image of a bloody Jack crossed her mind as a consequence of her actions and she shut her eyes tight trying to erase it from her head. She wouldn't let the same thing happen to Jack. Her heart wouldn't be able to handle losing someone else she cared about. 

When she opened them, the once sleeping Jack jumped.

"Jesus Christ, woman."

She knew what he was thinking as he tried wiping the sleep and sand from his eyes. Why did it look like she was watching him sleep all night. Well, that's because she was. Jack didn't need to know that though.

"They were drug dealers."

"What?" he stretched his vocal cords trying to clear his throat.

"Those men." she pulled the money from her pocket as he stretched. "These bills are covered with cocaine."

"So?" he spat in disbelief as if to say 'good morning to you too'.

"Drug dealers don't take lightly to thieves."

"Oh yeah kitten? Well you should've thought about that before you went snoopin' in their shit."

___

I can't believe this shit. Jack thought as he traded off his car keys for two thousand dollars. They were at a truckstop in Pennsylvania. Some hell hole called Blue Ridge.

He looked up at the woman who quite literally burned everything he ever had. Slipped it right out from underneath him. She was talking to a balding man with the gut of a former football player.

What the hell is she doing now?

She saw him point in his direction to which the guy gave her a curt nod and handed her something.

When she turned to him, her face beamed in satisfaction. That smile alone made Jack forget about the things he lost because of her. Suddenly none of it mattered. She picked her hand up in front of his face and jingled some keys.

"What's that?"

"I got a new car." she grinned from ear to ear. The wind picked up her hair to help her celebrate. As though she doesn't already have enough to work with.

"That so?" Jack followed her to a lot behind a burger joint.

She skipped to it, the smile never falling from her face. Jack knew this was probably the first time in her life she ever bought something.