:E:

“I saw him break his pencil today” I said, sipping at my water attentively.

“He does that a lot, he went through five pencils in our exams” He shrugged, peeling the skin from his apple with his teeth, eating the outside layer first before biting into the succulent core.

“He swears”

“You should hear him when you aren’t around”

“Really?”

“Heck yes”

I laughed.

“He’s like a fucking sailor”

“Your just as bad” I shrugged.

“Maybe” The upper left corner of his lips lifted into a lazy smile.

“He’s nice though” I swept my hair back behind my shoulders, letting it fall easily down my back.

Mike smiled.

“Do you like him?”

“Yeah, he’s nice – swears to often – but nice”

“No, do you like him?” Mike leant forward, balancing the tittering apple with three fingers, the sleeves of his flannel shirt were rolled up showing is tan skin.

I paused.

“I feel like I’ve been swept up in a circus, you know I’m the outsider. He’s the ringmaster and you’re the monkey who sits on his shoulder”

“What other kinky fantasies lurk in your mind Eve?”

I hit him on the shoulder as he chuckled.

“None” I muttered.

“So do you?”

“Honest?” I bit my lip.

“No I want the best fucking piece of shit you’ve ever told” He rolled his eyes, shaking his head with a gleam in his eye.

“No”

“No?”

“No”

She wasn’t lying, she didn’t like him like that.

She liked the way his skin felt and the way he smelt of smoke after finishing a cigarette. It didn’t mean she liked him.

It didn’t mean he liked her either.

“Too eat should be illegal” I spoke in between sips of ever so sweet water as I enviously watch food pass into Mikes lips.

“If it was there would be a lot of anorexic people in the world”

“Isn't there already?”

“Yes and it’s sad, they are killing themselves”

“No, just staving” I replied.

“That’s what I said, killing” His hazel oak eyes boring into my grey ones.

My stomach let out a cry.

His eyebrows shot up.

“You know I can’t eat” I whispered.

“You can try”

He handed me a sandwich and I took it, unwrapping the plastic and biting into it without a second thought.

We sat there talking. Curtis leant against the door leading inside watching me, not the Mike said a word.