The Forbidden Fruit

This was it. My first day out since the incident. Mary had finally convinced me to go out. It was just a simple supermarket run for anyone else, but this was a momentous occasion for me. I had come out with my hood up, sweatpants tied tightly, and my purse tightly clenched in my hand. I had gotten the eggs, bread, and butter. I was on my way out when I spotted him. My very own forbidden fruit. I remember him clearly, because he was the first guy that had even remotely shown me interest in me during high school. But why was he here? I thought he moved to New Jersey with his girlfriend. But as I so clearly remember, curiosity killed the cat, so I kept walking. I was in the checkout line when it happened. He bumped into me. The bread and butter fell, but the eggs were thankfully still in my grasp. He started apologizing and picked up both of them to give me when it clicked. He recognized me. He started to say my name, but I knew I couldn’t allow that. He deserved better. So I rushed through the checkout process, paid with cash, and left, all the while denying that I knew what he was talking about. I haven’t seen him since, thank God. That has been the best bit of luck I’ve had in a long while.