Saving Grace

Chapter 2: Saving Grace

I look up to find Michael standing over me. I can hear my sister behind me whisper "fuck" but all I feel is the sting of each punch he's throwing at me. Within seconds he's off of me and David is standing in front of me. His brother, Taveon, has Michael in a head lock and  David decides to take a jab at his side. With Jackie's help I stand up and move onto the couches. I look back up and find David grabbing him by the throat. "I think you need to apologize boy."

"Apologize? I should fucking kill that bitch."

I shook my head with tears streaming down my face and turned to face away from him.

"Ree!! I'm so so sorry! I never meant for him to show up when I mentioned him earlier! I should have listen to the whole think of the devil he appears crap."

I see David and Taveon standing in front of me again. David took a protective stance in front of us while Taveon had more of a body guard, crossed arm stance.

"Fuck your bitch ass, Renae, I'll see you at home." I shiver and cower back into Jackie's arms with tears still making their way past my bruised cheeks. Michael leaves and David turns to me.

"You live with that man?" I shake my head. "You live alone?" I stay silent watching the door, until Jackie speaks up for me.

"No she doesn't. She and I share an apartment, but he knows where we live. He's ah..." She looks looks to me for permission and I nod. "He's her ex-boyfriend. We've been doing good with not encountering him, but as you can see we aren't exactly as safe as we could be."

I swear as Jackie is telling David and Taveon this they look at each other and I see wheels turning in their heads.

"Why don't you two stay with us? We can leave now and go get your things-"

Yeah, I was right. There were definitely wheels turning in their heads, and those wheels must be malfunctioning.

"Uhhh no! Jackie and I cannot leave work! We have these jobs for a reason!"

Taveon speaks up this time, "I don't know whether David will continue letting you work here Renae, but Jackie isn't. You're quitting right now, at this moment." Jackie and I look at each other and she speaks up.

"Ok one, I just flipping met you! Two, do you really think I'm just going to up and leave my sister just because you say so? Three, you must be dumber than a box of rocks to think I would trust you in taking care of us." Her country accent and slang began to peek through.

"Jackie dear listen-"

Jackie cut him off and muttered, "Don't call me 'dear' dude. I am not your dear."

He either didn't hear her or chose to ignore her because he continued, "You've met me before, two by the looks of my brother's face Renae won't be working here either and three... let's just say my brother and I have more than enough money to take care of the two of you."

"Tay, let's just get them and go. I'd like to be at their house before that dipshit does so I don't end up going to jail for murder" David looks me in the eyes as he speaks. I see his eyes glittering but his voice, holds so much conviction and authority, hell, it even scares me a bit. I think he sees that it scared me, because his voice softens as he puts a hand out for me. "Renae, come on, you'll be safe with us."

I looked at my sister to see what she was thinking. She looked at me and raised an eyebrow, her face held different emotions but the main ones were hope, curiosity, and uncertainty. We looked at each other for a few seconds more, and with one final look we had made our decision.

We looked at the two brothers, who were looking at us with a look of hope. I put my hand in David's and we followed them down the hall to our boss' office.

~~~~