Chapter One

I’m dead.

            Or at least that’s what everyone thinks. I’m really just somewhat living on my own with my best friend in a small town where only a few people even know my name. Well, it’s Horizon, if you were wondering.

            I have an “okay” background. I grew up with four older brothers who nearly tortured me to death in that annoying older brother way. Up until I was nine, my life was perfect. My widowed mother loved me, and I always got good grades in school.

            Everything changed the week after my ninth birthday. My oldest brother, Jasper, was murdered. Even though I’m somewhat out on my own now, every night, I have nightmares. I didn’t just hear about my brother’s death; I witnessed it.

            We were the only ones home, my brother and I. We were casually talking over hot chocolate and a movie. Waiting for our mother to return, we were stretched across our large, brown couch.

            “Jasper,” I started, taking a sip of my drink, “where’s mom?”

            He looked at me as he brushed a piece of hair from my face. “She’ll be home soon. She’s just at work.”

            That’s when we heard the banging.

            “What’s that?” I asked with a jump.

            Jasper took hold of my hand as we crept toward the front window. It was sort of a game to me, being nine and all. In my mind, we were secretly ninjas.

            “Who is it?” I whispered.

            Jasper’s bright blue eyes widened with fear as he stuck his nose over the window ledge. “Horizon,” he said slowly and softly, “go up to the attic.”

            “Why would I―”

            “Just get in the attic! Go!” he urged.

            We slipped from our spot and sprinted quietly up the stairs. The door to the attic was hidden in Jasper’s closet in his room. He opened the door as he shoved me in. “Now don’t come out,” he said in a panicked tone, “until I come and get you. All right?”

            I nodded even though I was really confused. Was this just another game of ours? With a brother of fifteen, you really didn’t know whether he was serious or not.

            I waited for another five minutes before I peeked out from my hiding place. I stuck my head out from Jasper’s closet just so I could see his room. I think I nearly fainted.

            Sitting in the middle of his room, tied to a chair and a handkerchief over his mouth, was Jasper.

            “Shut up, kid,” growled the taller man. I could just tell it was men by their voice and the way they looked; they wore all black outfits with ski masks covering their faces.

            I watched in terror as my brother struggled to spit out the cloth that kept him from screaming. When he finally got it loose, he wailed like there was no tomorrow. I’d never heard my brother scream so loud (or so high pitched).

            The other man then held a gun up to his head. “Shut your face, kid!” he demanded.

            My brother was always known for his stubbornness. He continued to wail… but it was too late.