Chapter Five

I swallowed, quickly turning to Jet as I heard the set of footsteps slowly making their way up the stairs. "I can't do this," I whispered, my voice weak.

He half smiled, taking me by the shoulders and looking into my eyes. "You can do this, Horizon. Trust me."

I stood there shaking as I saw Wyatt turn the corner; I literally stopped breathing when my mom's short, blonde figure turned the corner as well. He stepped out of the way and made room for my mom. The look on her face made my throat close up.

She slowly turned to Wyatt. "Wyatt.." she said softly. "Who is this girl?"

I could feel my heart crack. "You don't remember me?" I whimpered, stepping backwards. How could my own mother not recognize me?

She turned back to me, a frightened look in her eyes. Then it clicked; like all three of my brothers, she had that hint in her eye that made me know. "Horizon?"

Wyatt smiled as I nodded, slowly walking towards her. "I'm home." I fell forward, wrapping my arms around her and letting the smell of her- the smell she had so long ago- envelope me in warmth. I finally felt right.

More and more tears fell from my eyes as I continued to stand there with her arms wrapped around me. I could feel her shaking.

She finally pulled away from me, stroking my hair out of my face. "Oh, Horizon," she whispered. "I can't believe this. It's been so long."

I nodded. But the happy moment didn't last long.

Wyatt, Jet, my mom, and I jumped when we heard the knocking. No. Banging from downstairs.

I turned to Jet and swallowed. "It's them."

The fear in his eyes were unbearable. "We need to get out of here," he said, his voice shaking.

"Wait, who's them?" asked my mom.

My breathing was becoming more rapid when I realized.. Mike and AJ were still downstairs. "THEM!" I screamed, running from my room and down the stairs the second the door was kicked open.

"There she is!" cried the taller man, lunging toward me.

I screamed, running into the kitchen where Mike and AJ were huddled against the cabinets. "You need to get out of here," I urged them. "GO!" I opened the back door and watched as they went racing down the street. I sighed, relieved they were safe.

"Not so fast," said the taller man again, pushing me into the fridge and pinning me back.

I screamed again, attempting to bite him in the process. "Let me GO!" I demanded, praying that the other three would just stay upstairs.

He chuckled, taking the gun out of his pocket. "I don't think so."

My breathing was so rapid at that point.. I thought I was going to explode. "Why are you doing this?" I asked, trying to stall him.

He smirked, looking at me. His beady green eyes were evil. I could see it in them. "Why are we doing this?" he repeated. "Because of YOU, you little brat!"

"What did I ever do to you?" I demanded, trying to stay calm.

The other man had joined at that point, standing on the opposite side of me.

"You witnessed the murder of your brother," explained the man. "You got us turned in."

"I didn't tell ANYONE until after you were caught!" I cried. "I'm not the one who arrested you! I'm not the one who threw you in prison!"

He hesitated, thinking about it for a second. "A lifetime in prison?" He chuckled. "I don't think so. We lasted three years, then spent the rest tracking you down. Face it, Princess. Your time is up."

I closed my eyes, waiting for the blow of the gun. Look at the bright side, I thought. At least you'll be with Jasper again.. I continued to wait, but nothing happened. I slowly opened my eyes, seeing that the second man was no where to be seen, and the taller man in front of me frozen. "What the.." I wiggled from his grasp, then realized why he hadn't shot me.

The man slowly fell to the ground, the knife sticking only inches out of his head.

I gasped when I saw Jet standing before me, his breathing heavy and dry. "Jet!" I cried, wrapping my arms around him. "You.. You saved me."

He shrugged, glancing at the man. "Self defense," he said simply before grabbing my hand and walking me back upstairs.

My mom and Wyatt sat huddled in the corner of my room. When my mom saw me, she gasped, quickly jumping to her feet and walking over to me. "Where are Mike and AJ?" she questioned. She glanced back at Wyatt who had a look of terror on her face. "Please.. Where are they?"

"I don't know exactly," I replied. "But I know they're safe."

She let out a deep sigh. "Thank the Lord."