Chapter Six

Ever since that day, I didn't really know how to live my life. I had to teach myself how to live in an actual house with an actual family again. I had to teach myself how to stay in my own bed, not go and huddle against Jet, when I was scared.

Slowly but surely, my life from five years ago came back into focus. Jet got to stay in Jasper's room; it was hard. Everyone had to get used to him, but they eventually did. 

We sit around the dinner table every night. We always bow our heads and give thanks to God and pray to Jasper to give us strength. He always returns the favor. 

The second man was soon found once again and put back into a prison he surely wouldn't get out of. Finally everything was settling down.

That night when I was laying in the front yard by myself, Jet found me and laid next to me. 

"I'll miss it," I whispered.

"Miss what?"

"Life with you." 

"You still have me. And your brothers and mom."

"I know. It'll just take some getting used to."

"I know," he said, pulling me close. His body next to mine was warm, and I closed my eyes. He smelled like... Jet. I gently opened my eyes, my gaze lifting to the stars above us. 

There was a trail of light across the sky. It lasted seconds, but both Jet and I saw it.

I gasped, looking at him. 

"Did you see that?" we asked at the same time.

I smiled, resting my head on his chest. "I think that's a good sign," I muttered. "Thanks, Jasper."