12 - What Is This?

I waited outside the movie theatre, checking my watch. I knew I was almost a half an hour early, but still, I was anxious. I didn't know what to think honestly. Cassie said she would meet me out by the door, but nobody was here just yet. I didn't mind yet, I knew she would be here. Sure enough, there she was, ten minutes before the movie started.

Today, her black hair was spun up behind her head in a bun, with a braid sprouting from the top, arcing down her back like a tail. He wore a soft pink dress-length shirt with a light green skirt underneath.

I suddenly felt ashamed, even though I had tried to dress nice today. I found a white t-shirt with a few designs across it. Black wide pants were surprisingly easy to find. My hair was brushed over to the side, and I had re-dyed it recently, a bright, though dark, shade of red.

Cassie sauntered up to me, smiling as usual. "You look nice, thanks for showing up Alex."

I couldn't find my voice, so I just smiled instead. I hugged her softly, hoping I was doing the right thing. Suddenly, two arms found their way around me. I stiffened for just a moment, but quickly relaxed, melting into the hug. Her perfume was still there, sharp as ever. Cassie's arms were gentle, hugging me softly.

We pulled away, and walked into the movie. Not sure what I was doing, my hand shot out and grabbed hers. Surprised, her hand locked out, but quickly settled into mine.

The movie wasn't that great, but I didn't really mind. Honestly, the only thing I wanted was to spend that day with Cassie. Why did I feel like this? Why was I still so anxious around her, desperate to impress her? Why did I feel such a need to hiss her again? What is wrong with me?

I shrunk into my seat, pondering these thoughts. A thought occurred to me. Appalled, I quickly shoved it aside. It couldn't be, could it? Did I love Cassie Brensalls?