Chapter 1

[Shane's POV]

Joey's head softly bops up and down on my chest as I'm trying to free myself, while not waking him up. It's already 8, and I had to leave around 7 to not be late for work, but I just couldn't leave him. There's something so magical about Joey, that got me hooked the day we met online. I just love seeing him sleep. So peaceful, so lovely. But if I don't leave now, I'll be too late and they'll fire me, and so I quietly and gently try to lay his head on the pillow.

"Mmmmm," Joey murmurs. I kiss him on the head, and caress his cheek, before walking to the bathroom. Fifteen minutes later I'm all showered and dressed. Just before I head out, I sneak in Fay's room to check on her. She's sleeping just as peacefully as her dad, hugging her brown teddy-bear. As I did with Joey, I give her a kiss on the head and caress her cheek. 'Those damn lucky souls' I whisper while stepping in the car, thinking of how great it would be to sleep in on a Saturday, just like I used to back in the days.

Lucky for me, L.A isn't so busy right now. Normally at this time, all the highways are stuffed with cars and trucks, but it's Saturday, so the traffic turns out better than expected. 

As I step out of my car, putting on my sunglasses, I make my way to the studio. I wave to the guard, with whom I usually talk a lot, and he knows me well, so he just lets me pass. When I enter the studio, I see that the director is in an unusually bad mood today. He turns to me upon hearing my entrance, sighs, puts down the script on the table next to him, and then stands up.

"Shane Graceffa," he begins, "I'm not happy with you."

"I'm so sor-"

"Don't interrupt me, Shane," he harshly responds, "Now, why do you think I gave you this job? Now you're allowed to answer."

"Umm... Because I'm good in what I do?"

"Exactly. You're great in what you do. Excellent even. But that doesn't matter when you think you have the prerogative to be late- 1 hour and a half to be exact. I gave you this job because I thought I could count on you. Apparently that was a big mistake," he says while sitting down. "One more chance, Shane. A single chance. If you do anything that doesn't please me, like showing up late for work, I'll send you packing."

"I'm so sorry, I won't let you down."

"Now go to work."

"Yes sir," I say, feeling embarrassed and humiliated. That was a close escape. I can't imagine what would've happened if I got fired today...

[Joey's POV]

"Daddy, daddy, daddy!!" I hear Fay scream next to me. 

"What's wrong honey?" I say, while jumping out of bed. She's standing there clutching her teddy-bear, looking all bewildered.

"I missed you..." she says, looking at her feet.

"Aww baby. Come here," I say, pulling her in a hug. "I'm right here..."

She flings her arms around my abdomen, while I rub her back. 

"Did you have a bad dream, sweetie?" I ask. She doens't answer at first, but after thirty seconds, she does.

"Yes..." I hear the hesitance in her voice.

"The same one?"

"Yes..."

Lately she's been having the same, recurrent nightmare in which Shane and I allegedly abandon her. She told us about this nightmare about twenty nights ago, and ever since, she's had that dream over and over again. Then she runs up to me or Shane, or both of us, and tells us that she misses us. There must be a logical explanation for this, but we can't seem to figure out which one. Maybe it's because her actual mother and father never took much care of her. They didn't ignore her or abandon her or something, but they weren't much of a parent either. At least not a good one. It's however odd that she has this dream more than a year after they got in the car accident. 

Luckily, Fay was at home with a baby-sitter when the crash happened. They'd been out for the night, drinking, attending bars and clubs, possibly doing drugs, and then they drove home, but never arriving there. The truck they collided with smashed the car like a pancake. Immediate death. Fay was only 3 when she lost her parents. 

"It'll be okay," I say, "Let me make you some waffles. Would you like that?"

"Yes, dad."

I take her hand and walk to the kitchen. Oh, how I wish Shane was here. He's always been her favorite. He's the one that jokes around all the time, tells the most bed-time stories, and he always seems to comfort her in a way that is truly special. I'm completely fine with that, but it makes it a bit harder for me to make her at ease. 

Sometimes, I wish that I could turn back time, and make things right from the beginning. The fact that she likes Shane more is probably a result from my hesitance when we adopted her. Shane was much more of a parent back then, maybe because he was older and more grown-up. I was basically still going through puberty, when Shane was already a full grown adult. I fixed that over the time, and started taking more care of her, and being the dad I'm supposed to be. One day, maybe she'll regard me as a real dad, and not a surrogate one.

______________

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Here it is, the sequel to 'Tomorrow Will Be A Better Day' :D I hope you'll like it, and I apologize beforehand for not updating regularly *guilty face*. I'll try to update as often as possible though!

In addition: HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR IN 2014!