iii. shopping spree

Stop staring at me, stop it! I thought furiously as I kept my head down. I'm gonna blow it if he started talking to me, stop staring.

A dark haired boy with amazing golden eyes were staring at me and I was complaining? I was definitely not a typical girl. If I had kept my hair down today, then I would've been able to hide my face with my long blonde hair. But no, I had to put it up in a ponytail. 

So it turns out the furious thoughts in my head were not loud enough because the boy continued to stare without any sign of backing off. 

I looked up slightly and saw that the elevator was already on the second floor: one more floor to go. 

The boy didn't say anything, but he stormed out of the elevator the moment the doors opened. What was his problem? I frowned. 

-----

After running around the New Haven Mall for what seemed like hours but was actually just half an hour, I decided I needed to do something. I didn't know what to buy. I couldn't buy clothes that were too nerdy, too classy, too formal, too juvenile or too mature.

The mall was huge needless to say, there were at least two more floors I did not have the time to look at and I would assume there were at least a hundred fifty shops. I cannot believe that a mall this huge even existed.  

I groaned and pulled out my phone, wondering if Simon could help me. He was a boy and around my age. He could definitely help me!

He picked up after just one ring and he immediately sounded like he was in full on panic mode.

"What's wrong Reese? Is everything fine? Are you kidnapped? Did you get raped?" he was breathing heavily. Jesus Christ, my brother was so paranoid. I thought to myself.

"Everything is okay, sort of, I did not get kidnapped and I most definitely did not get raped you sicko!" I said angrily.

"What do you mean by everything is okay, sort of?" He sounded very unconvinced and I could just imagine him narrowing his eyes at me.

"I mean I'm physically fine but not really mentally," I sighed, hoping Simon would be able to help me with my problems.

"Reese Waters, tell me everything," he said through gritted teeth.

"Okay okay.," I shook my head, "so basically I was really stupid on the day I wrote my application and clicked the male circle instead of the female circle and-"

"You. Are. An. Idiot," he stopped after every word to make sure I heard him. He was such a supportive brother.

"Look, if you're going to put me down, at least be a little bit more subtle about it," I laughed. Simon might've insulted me but hey who's older brother didn't make fun of his younger sister. "Anyway, so now I've ended up in a boy's dormitory and that's not even the best part,"

"I cannot believe it. You are so stupid. Are you sure you're my sister? I'm pretty sure I'm a lot better looking and smarter than you," he mumbled.

"No I'm pretty sure," I nodded my head as I played with a loose string on my dark blue sweater, "I'm now attempting to be a boy and I need your help. I'm failing desperately because I have no idea how to act and look like a boy," I say, panicking.

People around me gave me odd looks. I don't blame them a bit because what I said right there was some serious weird shit. Who talks to their brother and asks for advice on how to act like a dude? I thought to myself. Certainly not normal people, but then again I wasn't normal because normal people don't make mistakes on their freaking university applications!