Epilogue

Epilogue

One Year Later and Two Months Later…

          Here I was.  Standing in front of the entire student body, their families, and a ton of other people I didn’t know.  I saw Gabe’s hands waving frantically in the front row, screaming his curly brown head off.  Jamal stood next to him, smiling brightly.  My heart felt lighter knowing that they both would be there for me, keeping an eye on me, and making sure that my life was on track.

          “Congratulations, Mr. Reynolds.”  I shook my principal’s hand firmly before taking the white diploma from him.  I turned to Gabe and did the Superman pose he asked me to.  He gave me a thumbs up as I was ushered off the stage, the sound of hands clapping filled my ears.

          “GO DEVIN!”  Brady called from his seat in the already graduated section.  I gave him a look before breaking into a smile.  I met Maci’s eyes, and she looked like she was almost in tears.  Like she couldn’t believe I managed to graduate.

          I scoffed inwardly.  Everyone pushed me to fail, but I proved them all wrong.  A former delinquent graduating with high honors doesn’t seem too common, but I managed.  In fact, I got a scholarship despite my record.  Every penny that helped me pay for my education was a penny that I could put away for Gabe’s college fund.

          I shimmied my way to my designated chair, giving Maci a kiss as I past her.  Liam, who sat a few people down the line, wolf whistled.

          It was about a half an hour until everyone else was called.  Then, we stood and threw our caps into the air.  Cheers erupted, along with thunderous applause for me and my fellow classmates.  Quick hugs were exchanged while people ran around trying to recollect their caps.  I saw Jamal waving me over with Gabe in his arms.  I found Maci talking to Ashley, the girl Brady was currently ‘dating.’  They were gushing about something, so I decided just to signal to Maci I’d be over with Jamal and Gabe.  She nodded and held up a finger, telling me to wait just a minute.

          “Devin!”  Gabe shouted, wiggling out of Jamal’s arms and running into mine.  “Good job!  You deserve a star sticker!”

          I laughed.  “Thanks, Squirt.”  He stuck his tongue out at me.

          “Congratulations,” Jamal shook my hand.  But his smile soon fell into a serious line.  “Now, Gabe told me that Maci has been staying at your house… Is that correct?”

          I shot Gabe a glare, which he responded to by sinking lower into the ground.  “Uh… Yeah.  You see, her dad is in detox still…”

          “Say no more.”  His voice lowered.  “Just be sure you two are safe.”

          “Jamal!”  I shouted, my face becoming very hot.

          “Don’t worry.  Devin put those rubber corner thingies on the island, so Maci won’t hit her head.”  Gabe stated, revealing his missing front teeth.  “And, he locks the doors at night, too.”

          “That’s good to hear, little buddy,” Jamal chuckled, ruffling the Gabe’s hair until his curls stuck up in all directions.  “When is your first class?”

          “September.”  I responded.  “I’m taking classes at the CC while Gabe’s at school?”

          “Law enforcement?”

          “Yessir.”  I smiled, shifting my diploma into my other hand.  I admired it for a moment.  “Man, I’m glad I got this.”  I muttered.