Chapter Eleven: Dance, Dance

          Red fuzzy hearts, pink streamers stuck to the walls like potato salad did after last year’s Senior food fight.  Frilly cards plastered lockers, random rose petals littered the floors, and geeks threw themselves at the cheerleaders’ feet.

          Ah, the sweet sight of Valentine’s Day.

          I tried to ignore the girls that flocked behind me as I walked down the hallway to my locker.  Good God, did I hate Valentine’s Day.  I wanted nothing to do with all these needy, horny girls.

          Finally, after stepping on at least six dozen roses that were rejected by said needy, horny girls, I made it to my locker.  I sighed when I saw about sixty little cards and signs taped on the outside, but I just tried to ignore them.  As well as the overwhelming mix of nasty perfumes sprayed on them.  I was slightly disappointed in the turn-out of cards this year, I thought maybe it was because of my blowup at lunch, but that was before I opened my locker door and a waterfall of cards, candy hearts, little bears, and flowers came pouring out.  Once they finally stopped falling on their own, I pulled the rest of the shit out and kicked them over to some geeky guy’s locker next to mine.  I heard the girls behind me sigh sadly and herd away down the hall.

          As I was unloading my backpack and setting my books down, I noticed a small card sticking out of my math book.  I snatched it and ripped it open.  My eyebrows rose when I saw who signed the card.

          Maci.

          My heart fluttered, and I hurriedly stuck my face in my locker to avoid being caught with a red face.  The card was seriously the cheesiest thing I have ever read, and that normally would make me sick, but since it was from Maci, I didn’t feel the need to puke.

          “Oh, there’s my love!  My love, Devin!”  I recognized that annoying voice anywhere.  “How is my love?”  Brady wrapped his arms around me before I even had time to pull my head out of my locker, making me smack my face on the shelf.  “Ooo, what’s that?”  He snatched the card from my hands before I could even register what was going on.  “Holy shit, this is so corny!”  Brady’s obnoxious laugh made people turn and stare at us.

          “Shut up!”  I smacked the back of his head and grabbed it from his hand.  “You’re just jealous.”

          Dude, are you an idiot?  Of course he isn’t jealous!  It’s a corny card for Pete’s sake!

          “Jealous?  Me?”  Brady smiled, putting a hand to his heart.  “Oh, Devin!  You know me so well; this must be why we’re made for each other!”

          I grumbled to myself, slammed my locker, and sauntered away from him.  He followed after me, still laughing at his own act.  “I was just kidding you know.”

          “Yeah, yeah.”  I muttered, shoving him away.  Brady ran in front of me to stop me in my tracks, crossing his arms over his chest.  “Move, douche.”

          “No, dip shit.”

          “Asswipe.”

          “Dick head.”

          “Mother fucker.”

          Brady pouted.  “Hey, don’t bring that up again.  It was one time when I was like, twelve!  And I was just kidding around!”

          “Whatever.”  I laughed lightly, stepping around him and continuing down the hall.  He really was an idiot.

          Brady rambled on and on about his plan to get Cecelia in bed tonight (he actually thought it was going to happen, poor guy), and my head pounded like it was hitting itself with a metal bat.  My thoughts were racing.