Chapter Seven: The Grass Isn't Always Greener...

Chapter Seven: The Grass Isn’t Always Greener…

          We walked down the street in pretty much total silence.  Well, it would’ve been total silence if Maci wasn’t shivering up a storm that made her teeth chatter.  The coffee shop was about five blocks from where Maci’s house was, past an old warehouse and a few flower stores.  Just past Maci’s house, actually, was where ‘the other side of the tracks’ began.  I thought about Gabe, and how he would’ve been better off growing up over this direction.  How I would’ve been better off.  Maybe my mom would’ve went straight, married a decent guy, and took care of us like she should’ve.

          I held the door open for her once we arrived, and an immediate blast of hot air hit me in the face.  I was suddenly thankful that this place was as stuffy and humid as the Bahamas because Maci still had my jacket wrapped around her.  Her teeth stopped chattering soon after we found a booth by the window.

          “I can’t read anything without my glasses…” Maci muttered into her menu, which was practically stuffed up her nose.  “Does this say macchiato or…”

          “Maci.”

          “Hmm?”  Her eyes shot up to mine, which gave my pulse a jolt.  Weird.

          “Want me to help you with that?”  I gave her a smirk that made her cheeks turn pink.  Her face disappeared behind her menu before she gave me an answer.  “I recommend the French vanilla cappuccino.”  I turned my gaze to the door where a few ratty kids walked in shouting obnoxious things to one another.  Hard to believe that I was like them once.  With all the chains hanging from their pockets… Gross.

          “Do you?”

          “Mmhmm.”  I responded, still watching those kids from the corner of my eye.  They were blowing straw wrappers at one another.  “I’ll go up and order if you’re ready to order.”

          “Oh, yeah, sure.  Just get me that cappuccino.  And maybe a muffin or something.”

          I laughed a little before getting up and heading over to the counter.  The barista’s name was Jackie, and she kept shooting death glares at the kids in the corner.  “Can I get two French Vanilla cappuccinos, a blueberry muffin, and… a slice of that chocolate cake?”

          “Sure.”  Jackie mumbled, punching my order into the register.  “Damn kids.  They come in here every night.”  I looked at the group for a moment.  One of them saw me looking at them and flicked me off.  “They’re rude, noisy, dirty, and not to mention little punk asses.”

          I scoffed.  “Got that right.”

          Jackie turned around and buzzed around the machines and started making the coffee.  “Go sit down.  I’ll bring it over.”

          I scooted back into my seat while Maci was staring out the window at the passing cars.  I awkwardly cleared my throat.  “Do you want to talk about what happened?”

          Maci didn’t take her eyes off the window, “It’s always been like that.  Since my mom left.”

          “Oh.  I see.”  I settled into the booth in a more comfortable position.  I’m getting the feeling that this story isn’t going to be a fun one to listen to.  Why couldn’t any stories about family issues be funny?  Life would be so much more enjoyable if all we had to worry about was Cousin Cletus being attacked by a bear and surviving.

          “My dad was really depressed when she left us.  He started drinking and, well, you know how that goes.”  She sighed deeply.  “He blames me for her leaving.  He tells me everyday: ‘You weren’t what she wanted.  Why couldn’t you be more like Molly?’  It’s the worst thing ever.  Being compared to your older sister.”  Her voice was shaky, and I was afraid she was going to burst out into tears again.