Chapter 10 - Exam Time Approaches...

I'm Going to Be A Mom ... At 17?! (A Teen Pregnancy Story)

Chapter 10 - Exam Time Approaches...

I ran my hand through my hair, extremely frustrated. Exam time had come and I had to do at least two hours of studying a night. Exams were next week, but I was doing mine this week. Dad had talked to the principal and figured things out, so I was allowed to do my exams separately from others but I had to do it under the supevision of a teacher on the weekend, so I didn't cheat. If everything was normal (which it wasn't), I would have gone through exams like I did every year. But since I was pregnant, I had to use the washroom every hour or so, I got hormonal, and I couldn't concentrate for long periods of time without getting hungry or emotional or something like that. I was in my second tremester and things were definitely easier pregnancy-wise, but exams made me want to rip my hair out. 

"Ughh. What is that stupid definition again? Umm... Uhh... Something... Something that... that... Um... Oh, fuck this." I slammed my pen on the desk and went downstairs. I grabbed ice cream out of the freezer, a spoon, and some caramel, and made my way back upstairs to my chaotic room with clothes and papers and textbooks scattered all over the place. I opened the lid of the tub, squirted the caramel on it, dug in my spoon, and started eating. I checked Facebook and my email account. I plugged in my iPod and blasted music, just taking time to relax and let loose. I picked up my tub of ice cream and started dancing, rocking out to the music but I heard my door open and I turned around, seeing Dad.

"What?" I asked.

He was leaning in the doorway, arms crossed and a frown on his face. "You should be studying."

"Dad, I'm taking a break. Leave me alone." I turned my back and sat at my desk.

I heard him sigh and he closed the door behind him.

I turned back to my laptop. Sooo bored... I thought. I really didn't want to study at all, but I knew I had to. I picked up my pen but put it down right away. I let out a deep breath and took another bite of ice cream. My back started to ache, and I stretched backwards, but it did nothing. I got up, went downstairs, and put back the ice cream. I grabbed my purse and yelled to Dad that I was going out and I would be back in an hour.

I hopped into my Mazda, unsure of where exactly I was going, but pulled out of the driveway and started driving. I turned on the radio and started listening to some Jazz, and relaxed into my seat. But my back started killing me. I squirmed around uncomfortably. These past few weeks I'd been getting a lot of aches, and I'd tried hot pads, cold pads, warm baths... but nothing that could leave my night completely pain-free, not even Advil. So I headed towards downtown, and made my way to the maternity store.

I pulled into the parking lot and parked my car close to the store, then got out and went in. I saw some ladies in their thirties throw me dirty looks and I tried not to pay them any attention, but I flushed nonetheless. I forced myself to hold my head high and went up to the lady at the desk.

"Hi, good evening," the lady said with a smile. She must have been in her mid-twenties. "How can I help you?"