Chapter 12: The Not-So-Calm after a Storm

♡ Macy Morgan ♡

I had thought I would be dead by now - if Lucas hadn't saved me.

Now wrapped in a towel, shivering cold and wet, I sat within the yacht's inner lounge area. The entire space was cleared out of party people after Lucas shooed all the people away to give me space. Dozens of people came up to me and asked whether or not I was okay, which I responded all with the same answer, "Yes.".

But was I really okay? Not just from the drowning part, but also from the whole Spencer and Meagan incident a while back. But I decided to give myself the same answer I gave the others.

Yes.

One of the double glass doors slid open and Meagan poked her head in the room. "How are you holding up Mace?"

"Okay, I guess. Wet and cold but otherwise, okay." I gave her a small smile, which may have transferred as a sad one, because Meagan pushed the door open wider and came in. She found a seat next to me on the cushioned bench and put her arm around me.

She gave my shoulder a supportive squeeze. "Do you want anything?"

"Hm..." I thought it over. "I think a clean robe and a glass of warm water would be nice." I smiled, and this time, I made sure no sadness lingered on it.

"Okay, but after I get you those things, you're telling me everything about what happened," Meagan looked straight into my eyes, "alright?"

"Sure." Though there's not much to say about it.

Meagan gave one last pat on my shoulder then got up and walked to the door. Just as she put her hand on the door handle, I called out to her, "Thanks Meg,". Without turning around, she gave me a thumbs up and disappeared past the lounge doors.

I sighed inwardly. Maybe it was time to go home; I mean, wet clothes and dripping hair wasn't exactly how I planned this night to go. Luckily my bag and all its contents were left undamaged on the yacht, so at least I still had my belongings with me. I dried my tangly wet hair with the towel draped around my body and with one last look around the lounge room, got ready to leave the yacht.

Moments after I neatly folded the towel and placed it back in the bathroom, the doors opened again. It must've been Meagan, back with my robe and glass of water.

"Meg, do you mind telling Lucille that I'd like to leave early? I want to get home before my mom comes back so I won't have to explain this fiasco to her. She'd freak." I called out from the bathroom.

"Sure, but I'm not entirely familiar with this Lucille, you speak of.

That voice was not Meagan's. And it was most distinctively male.

Immediately, I whipped around and walked out of the bathroom to come face to face with Lucas. He gave me a charming, lopsided grin matched with those twinkling grey-blue eyes of his that triggered a smile of my own to come up. There was just something about being around Lucas that brings out the best side of everything. However, there was something odd with Lucas that I couldn't pinpoint when he came in the room.

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

I made a sound. "I wish people would stop asking that. I'm fine." I said, bits of irritation leaking into my voice. "I'm not as weak and vulnerable as people picture me to be." I added.

Lucas stepped back with his hands held up; surrender mode. "They're all just concerned Macy."

I leveled my eyes with his large worried ones, then sighed. What went through my mind to act like that? "You're right. I'm sorry for snapping like that."