Chapter 6: Fresh Starts and Sweet Dreams

♡ Macy Morgan ♡

     Once upon a time, there was a thing called Time. It had a very important job of telling people what time of the day it was and most importantly, pass quickly. However, on this particular day, Time decided to forget its job and take a casual stroll down the park. It gazed up at the tall trees and the sunlight peeking through the bushy leaves, letting the soft breeze caress its face, listening calmly to the birds singing above its head.

     But because Time neglected his very important job and forgot about his responsibilities, he let a poor girl named Macy, suffer through the immense drag of time. Because of that, she had to sit in the same classroom as her turd, idiotic, nincompoopy excuse of an ex-boyfriend sat in front of her.

     I rested my head on my hand and I had my legs crossed under the small rectangular desk.  Goosebumps ran down my arms and legs as I was blasted with the cold jabs of air from the air conditioner. I had instantly regretted the seat I chose when Ms. Blynne turned on the air-con to full blast. Meagan wasn’t bothered by it at all due to the fact that I basically blocked all of the air from coming in contact with her.

     My foot was swaying gently to an imaginary rhythm and my eyes took a tour of the classroom. You know you’re really bored when you actually take the time to study all the fine print on posters covering every square inch of the classroom.

     Plus, that helped me divert my attention from Spencer to something . . . at least educational.

     Ms. Blynne was teaching us about genetics and with the help of her tedious tone, she’s gotten almost half the class fast asleep. I mean, her voice isn’t exactly something to wake up to. I tried as hard as I could to keep my eyelids from falling, but the fact that they seemed to be weighing a sack of potatoes didn’t help at all.

     The clock hanging on the beige wall above the whiteboard taunted me with it’s slow passing of time. In my mind, it was pretty much laughing at all the pain I was going through in this class.

     I glowered at the clock and a scowl almost made its way out of my mouth. Hurry up and move already! Yes. I was aware that I was talking to inanimate objects.

     Ms. Blynne pushed up her grey glasses and cleared her throat. “Your assignment will be to read over chapter 10.2 and write a small report on genetics.”

     And finally, the sound everyone was waiting for, the bell ringed.

     It was like everyone got shocked by electricity and the world started moving forward again. People got up immediately and shuffled out of the classroom as quickly as they could. Poor Ms. Blynne... I bet she doesn’t even know why everyone was sleeping in her classes.

     I started packing my pens and paper back into my bag when someone stopped in front of my desk. I knew it was Spencer even without looking up. After zipping up my bag, I smoothed down my blouse and turned to Meagan.

     “Meg, I need my pen back.” I stood up and threw my bag over my shoulder, holding out my palm for Meagan to drop my pen in.

     “Alright, gimme a second I need to finish writing this....” Meagan stuffed the remaining sheets of paper in her . . . ‘specially organized’ bag and then continued scribbling something on a yellow piece of post-it note.

     Spencer wasn’t there when I turned to walk out of the classroom. He must have left when I was ignoring him... or maybe he wasn’t waiting for me at all.

     I have nothing to prove to him, so why was I ignoring him?

     I rolled my eyes and continued walking down the hallway towards my locker. Along the hallway, people acknowledged Meagan and my presence (like they always do) with a whats-up nod or a simple ‘hey’, in which we both returned with a friendly smile.