Nick's Proposal

I knew Evan hadn't discussed my concerns with Nick, because my boyfriend seemed to be in a good mood. He was in the kitchen, preparing us dinner while humming a song. I didn't know which one, but it sounded good. I didn't want to bring up my concerns either, knowing his good mood would drop. But I couldn't keep quiet either, that wasn't who I was. I liked to discuss everything with Nick and I knew it was the same for him. We talked about everything without restraint and it definitely helped our relationship. There was that one little thing I kept to myself which was called Max, but I honestly forgot about him myself. Nick couldn't hold that against me.

Standing in the doorway, I smiled when Nick glanced over his shoulder, his whole face lightening up with a handsome smile just for me, "You okay, Em?"

I placed my hand on my stomach, "Yes" I returned his smile, "It's nice hearing you sing."

He chuckled, "I'm not really singing, I don't even know which song that is."

"It sounds good." I shrugged, "I talked to Evan last night."

Nick's eyebrows drew together, "That's good I suppose."

I leaned my shoulder against the doorpost, "I mentioned the things you told me and he figured that you said those things because you were thinking of marriage." I remained silent for a while, trying to search his eyes but those deep blue eyes didn't give anything away, "Are you thinking marriage, Nick?" I asked him carefully, fearing the answer he'd give me.

He turned his back to me again and stirred the sauce, "I did wonder about marriage, I think that I might want that in the near future."

Him admitting that to me made me feel like I stepped into an ice bath and couldn't get out, shivers ran down my spine while my breathing picked up, "I thought we were okay with how things were between us?"

Nick let the wooden spoon sit in the sauce and turned around again, his eyes locking onto mine while he folded his arms across his chest. His comfy charcoal gray sweater tightened around his shoulders and biceps, making my eyes trail down his body. I couldn't go there with my thoughts though, not when we were having a serious discussion about our future. Yet I couldn't control my feelings. I wanted my boyfriend. I always wanted Nick, he was the one who had control, I just gave in to my desires without thinking about the consequences. He enjoyed teasing me, making me go insane with want for him while he refused to give me what I wanted till I was a mumbling mess and came with him just running his fingers down my body. Nick controlled me when it came to our sexual relationship and he knew it. Never did he make me feel cheap or unwanted though. He was always very considerate.

Nick ignored my lustful look and continued with our discussion, "We're having a child together, things couldn't become more serious than this. I'm certain about us so the next logical step would be marriage. I know we both agreed not to go there before, but now I'm reconsidering it. I want to be able to call you my wife. I want a paper that officially states that."

"So you want the big wedding with the bridesmaids and grooms? The big white dress and my father walking me down the aisle?"

He looked offended by me, "You don't have to sound so disgusted by it. Are you not certain about us?"

"Of course I am certain about us."

"So why is it so wrong of me to think about marrying you in the near future? Why can't I imagine you walking down the aisle in a beautiful dress?"

I was distracted again because he closed in on me, placing his hand on my arm. Nick knew how I got whenever I was in that mood, yet he didn't hold back. He slowly trailed his hand down and wrapped his arm around my waist instead, pulling me close to him. I was pressed up against his chest, his soft sweater feeling like I was rubbing the softest towel ever over my face. It smelled really nice too which at this point just annoyed me. His sweater pissed me off. It wasn't supposed to be soft and nice smelling when I was having a serious discussion with my boyfriend.