Emily's Issues

Yesterday I had a conversation with my brother, things didn't go as he planned, but I stayed polite and saw him out when we wrapped it up. When I joined Nick in the bedroom he looked curious about our conversation, it told me he didn't eavesdrop on me even though I would have done it on him, probably. But I didn't feed his curiosity either. I pretended the conversation didn't even happen, taking a long bath to soak. He was patient with me, not asking me about it, waiting for me to bring it up first. I appreciated that. Nick always pushed his own agenda, but since we got together he became much more understanding. As Evan would say, more human. I didn't think that was true though, I think Nick always had been very caring, he just didn't feel like people deserved that side of him.

"Em."

I was getting dressed for our breakfast date out, focused on doing my make-up while Nick tried to get my attention.

"Hm?"

"Em."

Putting my powder brush down I glanced over my shoulder, "What is it, Nick?"

His lips curled up when I met his playful gaze, "Your bra is showing. I'm sure you don't want to go out with your neon colored bra showing."

Glancing in the mirror I blushed realizing he was right. Pushing my top up, I also fixed my straps, shifting my gaze to my boyfriend.

"I do love your neon colored underwear, but I'd appreciate if I'm the only one seeing it."

He sounded amused, it definitely brought back memories. Back then I didn't think Nick found it all that amusing to see me rushing, flashing him my bra because I was late for my first class. If he hadn't pointed it out I'd have gone out in public like that.

"I never knew that." Getting up, grabbed my jacket and shrugged it on, "You looked kind of pissed when you showed up at my front door unannounced."

He raised an eyebrow at me, "I wasn't pissed about your bra choices." I smirked when I noticed his eyes wandering to my chest, "It had more to do with the fact that some asshole tried to get money out of me and getting away with attacking a woman."

I let out a shaky breath, hating that my mind went there again, "I don't want to think about that."

"Sorry." I didn't want Nick to apologize for those drunk guys either, "I didn't mean to bring that up." He stepped to me, grabbed my chin and made me look in his smoldering blue eyes, "I'm always here for you, Emily, no matter what."

I knew that promise had a deeper meaning to it. He wasn't just referring to that one night those drunk guys attacked me. He wanted me to know whatever was buried in my past, he'd still be here. I needed to know that because things were that pretty. I thought I could start over, have a new family, a family I chose. That wasn't how things worked though. My past caught up with me, Max showed up and started things. Nick got along well with him, so I wasn't sure about what I could share with my boyfriend. Things weren't supposed to be that way. I was glad Nick reassured me he'd be there. Always.

"Let's talk over pancakes."

Nick's eyes danced with amusement as he let me go to retrieve my bag, "I'm not eating pancakes for breakfast. I think I'll go with bacon and eggs this time."

Pushing the strap of my bag onto my shoulder, I held my hand out to him, smiling when he took it, "That's fine. You can have your bacon and eggs and I'll drown my pancakes in syrup."

Nick made a face at that, "Let's go. I do have to be at the office around noon."

We went to the small restaurant around the corner, Nick was close with the guy because he usually had dinner there. He didn't visit the restaurant as frequent anymore, but they were still friends. I loved the place since it felt homey. It was a good place to have breakfast and talk about the things my brother told me yesterday.