Chapter 16

(Lila's Point of View)

I burst through the hospital door, and walk straight to the front desk. I don't even care about my meaningless cuts and bruises, I just need to see my mom. I see the younger looking girl with dark brown eyes and black hair, she's talking obnoxiously on the phone.

"Oh my god no way!! I KNOW RIGHT!" She laughs into the phone.

"May Johnson, please hurry" I say still flustered. She holds her pointer finger up to me, not even bothering to look me in the eyes. I become infuriated and grab the phone out of her hand, slamming it on the base.

"Hey! I-"

"May. Johnson. What. Room?" I say through gritted teeth. I watch as she quickly scans through the files. Eventually she pulls out my mothers file.

"Room 217, and I-I'm so-"

"Thanks." I say coldly. I quickly make my way to room 217 with Josh following suit. As I approach the door, I feel my hands get sweaty and the bile rise in my throat. I swallow hard and bring my shaky hand up to grip the doorknob. I close my eyes and open the door. My heart starts to race a million miles a minute. I stand in the door way with my eyes closed. I feel Josh's hand rest on my lower back. I open my eyes and see my mother, lying there......motionless. The only sound in the room is the consistent beeping of my mom's heart monitor. My legs give out just as Josh raps his arm around my waist.

"Come on baby." Josh whispers in my ear while guiding me towards my mother’s bedside. I hover over and examine her features while she breathes softly. Bruises cover part of her face and down her body. She has a cut just above her left eyebrow. When I notice the cast that covers my mother's arm, as well as her left leg, I break. Tears over flow down my face as I take her right hand as gently as possible into my hand, rubbing the top of it with the pad of my thumb.

"H-how long has sh-she been....." I can't finish my sentence, as loud sobs are escaping my trembling lips. I take a seat in the chair next to the hospital bed.

"A few days. I came here to check on her before I set out to find you." He says in a hushed tone.

I look up at him with watery eyes, "Is she....g-going to die?" Josh strokes the back of my head before planting a soft, comforting kiss to my tearstained cheek.

"Listen baby, whatever happens I am going to be right here with you, do you understand?" I nod my head.

"Thank you" I say.

Josh weakly smiles down at me and cups my face in his hand. "I will always be here for you." He again plants another light kiss on my soft lips. "I think we need to talk to the doctor......you know just to see what her condition is." I nod my head in agreement and Josh leaves the room to go search for the doctor. I bring my attention back to my mothers weak figure. "Look mom, I don't know if you can here me right now...." I say with a shaky voice, fighting back tears. "But you.....you have to wake up okay? I can't live without you, please come b-back to me....." I sniff and wipe the tears that slipped. "Its just not your time yet. I need you there to watch me graduate, to watch me get married, have a family. P-please just wake up...." I take my hand and lightly stroke her cheek. "please." I whisper. I lay my head down on the side of her bed, still clutching to her hand. Suddenly the door swings open and my father walks in. "Dad?" I question. I watch as tears form in his eyes. "Did you just get here? How long have you been here?" He runs over to me and engulfs me in a hug, that lifts me from the ground.

"Thank god.....thank god your okay. Where have you been? I thought you were dead! As soon as I heard your mother was in the hospital I came as quick as I could. I tried to get ahold of you but you never picked up."