12.

"Hey, wassup Chance?" Kehlani spoke on the other line. She sounded tired.

"Uh hey, I was wondering if you were free. I'm close to home and wanted to talk to you about something." I explained while turning down my street.

"Well, I'm at work. But I guess I could come afterwards." Lani's fatigue became hostility, and it threw me off guard.

"O-ohkay, see you then." I spoke, becoming a bit nervous. For what reason, I'm not sure.

"Yea." Then the line disconnected. I pulled up in front of the house, to see Donnie and the gang leaving the house. I locked the car and walked up to them.

"Where y'all heading?"

"We're going to pick something up, we'll be right back." Cottontale replied. Not thinking much into it, I nodded and kept it moving.

It was almost 3:30, and if I'm not mistaken, Lani gets off at 4. This means I had 30 minutes not to waste. I had to mentally prepare myself for how I was going to go at this, because I know I can verbally fuck things up.

I locked the front door behind me once I got in, and turned the living room television on before getting comfortable on the couch.

"How do I go about this?" I whispered to myself. "So I've been thinking... nope, 'cus this wasn't that. Okay , lemme get straight to the point... I guess, but she sounds a bit on edge, this doesn't need to go south."

On top of me not getting anywhere with that, my phone decides to ring.

It's Donnie, who's out, apparently, picking something up.

"You have reached the voicemail of Chaaaanoo , igh !"

"Cut the fuckery Chancelor. We need help." Donnie chuckled on the other line.

"I guesss , what's up?"

"So, say the gang wanted to buy Kinsley and lil' customized fit, what size baby t-shirt , overalls, and baby timbs would she need?" He asked. I just chuckled. As much as I should know these answers, I have no clue.

"Man, I don't know. I'm just as oblivious as you." I joke, kind of. He scoffed in response.

"Yea okay, when Kinsley is dressed like a rapper from 2001 cus' her clothes are too big, don't say shit to us." He laughed, and I laughed right a long with him. Donnie is a funny guy.

"Chill, I'll talk to India and get back to you." I told him, she'll definitely know.

"Aight man, lemme kno."

"Bet." Not even seconds after hanging up the phone and throwing it on the couch, the door bell rang and a message popped up on my phone.

fuuuuuck.

I went and got the door. There stood Lani in her hospital scrubs, looking down at her phone.

"Hey Lani, Come in, come in." I welcomed her, grasping her attention. She looked up, nodded and walked in.

After closing the door behind us, I noticed that she made herself comfortable on the couch in which I was sitting. She looked very pretty, skin was glowing, tats were elite, her makeup was on point, and she had gotten a haircut.

"I like your haircut, it's cute on you." I complimented, trying to get the ball rolling.

"Thanks. 'Preciate it." She responds.

"How was your day? You sounded tired on the phone.."

"Chance, it was fine. But I'd appreciate it if you'd move this along because I have places to go, and people to see."

The fuck?

"Uh yea, yea sure." I paused, trying to get my thoughts together. She lowkey just pissed me off, but I'm hoping that she's just tired or something. "So um, I know a lot has been going on with my health, and my past coming back to light, but everything is back to normal now including my health, mentally and physically thanks to you and a couple other people. So I was hoping we could continue to talk, and work towards a relationship like we might've done before all of this. And before you worry, I already had a long conversation with India and she's okay with it." I explain to Lani, with the highest hopes. I was short of breath, and I could feel anxiety eating me alive as she took her time in responding.

She chuckled, which confused the hell out of me. I wasn't sure if she was laughing at me, or something I said? Or maybe she was trying to lighten the mood. I don't know but whatever, I'll just shake it off.

She finally took a breath and opened her mouth to speak.

"Chancelor, look honey." She paused and rested her petite hand on my forearm. "You're cute, and you're an amazing guy. But I can't handle this." She gestured between herself and I. "I don't want you to worry about me as your girl right now, you might not be stable enough. Go off and be happy, that's what you should do. You've got so much on your plate. And this isn't what I want right now. You, aren't what I want right now."

She squeezes the spot on my arm where her hand lays, then gets up and grabs her bag.

"I hope you've taken what I've said in the best way possible, no insult intended. But I have to go now, so I'll see you later." She says before walking out the door.

"Mhm, k." I whispered to myself.

What the fuck.