Prologue

“. . . women between the ages of thirteen and twenty-five, found two days later with letters carved into their bodies. Women in the target age range are advised to keep their doors and windows locked-” The TV cut off. Melanie Wilson, nineteen years old, lay back in her bed. She decided that the police were just fear-mongering, and had, in a fit of rebellion, left her window open. The air was cool, it being early May, and it felt good on her skin. She slowly drifted off to sleep, and her dreams were comforting.

She woke up rather suddenly at 2:00 in the morning, not knowing quite what woke her. It was dark out. The window was closed. That gave Mel cause to think, but she didn't know with certainty that she had left it open. She listened for a moment, just to be sure, but she heard nothing apart from her own breathing. She settled back down into her bed, and closed her eyes.

A hand clamped down on her mouth. She opened her eyes and tried to scream, but it didn't work. She looked up at her attacker. At first, she thought they had no face, but closer inspection revealed that he or she was wearing a black Halloween costume mask, one of those hoods with a screen.

She struggled, but something sharp jabbed into her neck. A moment later, she was out.