15. The Outsider

The next morning Ashton woke up, groaning as he reached over for his phone that was buried somewhere in his bed. After Luke dropped him off he received a couple of messages from Anissa and Micheal, asking him where he's gone off to. He didn't want to be seen as lame for leaving the party early but he knew he'd be hanging around with Calum today. That was also why he woke up early.

He messaged Calum just before he went to sleep, around 1 in the morning, telling him that he'd be over sometime in the afternoon. Calum's reply was short, meaning that he was probably asleep already and his message woke him up. Ashton didn't feel so bad about it, believing that the time wasn't even considered to be late.

Ashton was sure Calum would make his comments over it, and all the other things he had to say about his new path to becoming cooler in school. He didn't want to hear any of them because he was enjoying himself and his idea was working out quite well. Ashton was proud of himself now because he was finally moving toward person he wanted to be.

Once he decided to get out of his bed, he ran his hand through his unruly hair and let out a yawn. He left his bedroom and went downstairs to have a quick breakfast before getting ready to go over to Calum's.

When he entered the kitchen he found his mum waiting for him, sat at the table with an annoyed look on her face. Her head turned to follow Ashton as he brushed past her.

He wasn't in the mood to hear about how irresponsible and disrespectful he was being. In his mind, they were considered parts of growing up. There was no way that someone could be perfect in every single way everyday. There had to be downfalls or there would never be any learning or growth.

"What time did your new friends drop you off last night, or this morning rather?" His mum asked him, her eyes staring at him and waiting for the reply that she probably already knew.

Ashton shrugged his shoulders. "It was after midnight, I guess. It's not really morning." He mumbles his answer to her as he went over to the fridge to look for something to eat.

With his head ducked inside of the fridge, grabbing a plain yogurt, he heard his mum let out a sigh. He rolled his eyes at the sound because out of all things for her to be disappointed in him about, he didn't think coming home later than usual was that big of a deal. He could be doing much worse things: like the partying, drinking, and bracelet trading she doesn't know about.

"I'm going over to Calum's in a bit. Gonna do some coursework together. I promise I'll be home before midnight this time." He was trying to be funny with her, which didn't work.

When he closed the fridge door and tossed his cup of yogurt up to catch it, his mum gave him her answer, "I'm not so sure I should allow you to see your friend."

"Come on, yesterday I told you I would work on my school stuff today. I'm keeping my promise. Plus, Calum has the same assignment so you know I'll get a passing mark on it. I'll be home before dinner." He argued his case with her.

His mum placed her hand on her forehead before shaking her head. "Fine, but just this once. I'm not going to become a pushover, Ashton. And I want you to really think about your attitude lately. I expect you to be home before dinner's on the table." She pointed over to the table where they shared every meal together. Well, they used to share every meal together.

"Yes, ma'am." Ashton replied, trying his best not to mutter due to the fact his mum was paying attention to the way he was behaving.

After she nodded in approval, Ashton turned on his heels to go back to his bedroom to collect his bag and books for school.

Then he left the house to go over to Calum's by foot. Walking gave him time to think, to replace his annoyance with thoughts of wonderment. As he opened his yogurt he couldn't help but glance at his wrist, feeling the rubbery plastic tickle against his skin just like each memory that came with each one. This was a feeling he enjoyed and couldn't believe he was actually feeling it.