Chapter Ten {Ready}

RAVEN QUEEN

I sat in Art of Curse class, dozing off in a seat at the back of the classroom. I knew I was going to fail this class anyway so there was no point. Plus, I was just too stressed out. Apple didn't seem to believe what I was saying last night. Kitty and the other rebels had replaced me and Legacy Day was just two days away.

"Would anyone like to demonstrate the poisoning curse?" Miss Windpoper asked, her eyes sweeping the classroom of frightened kids. Whenever Miss Windpoper needed a demonstration everyone tensed up.

I kept my head down, trying to not meet her eyes.

"How about you, Raven?"

So much for that.

I got up and went to the front of the class. Miss Windpoper had us trying to curse a banana. That was ironic as I would be cursing something when I graduated. 

I held the banana in front of me, murmuring those magic riddles that would curse the fruit - then purple gass formed around it for just a fraction of a second. The banana went back to its regular state.

Miss Windpoper sniffed the banana, then a smile came over her. " Very good, Raven."

I sighed in relief and slumped back in my seat.

"Raven?" Malifia, who was sitting next to me, leaned over now. 

"Yes?"

"I think Kitty is going a little too far now," She whispered. "She has all this crazy talk, so crazy that everyone is backing out."

"Then maybe she won't do it."

However, we both knew Kitty Chesire was capable of anything.

------------------------

On the morning of Legacy Day, I woke to find Apple not in her bed. However, I remembered she had talked of a sleepover with Briar or something. I had no plans of course. I took a shower, ran a comb through my hair, and put on the usual makeup.

Thats when I hard a knock at my door.

"Raven!" That was Maddie.

I opened the door for her, stunned by how beautiful she looked. Her dress was long and victorian - styled. A more crown - like hat sat on top of her neatly curled hair. She gave me a goofy grin. "Mister Cup Snuggles helped me." She gestured to her stuffed rabbit.

Typical Maddie.

She waited outside my bathroom door while I changed and when I came out, she held her breath. Then she looked up in the air with a frustrated sigh. "Will you two shut up so I can have a moment with Raven?"

Oh right, her "narrators".

Then she hugged me. "Oh, Raven, you look breathtaking!"

"Really?" I looked in the mirror and was delightfully surprised. She was right. I looked amazing. Better than I ever had since I'd been here. I smiled harder when I realized Dexter was going to see me like this.

"Are you ready?" She asked, a cup of tea suddenly in her hand.

I nodded and locked arms with her. "Ready." And I was more ready than I had ever been in my life.