The Troublesome Laces

Signe stretched as her eyes fluttered open in the morning. The sunlight was pouring in through the back window, showing that it was still early hours. She was relived to feel the return of the steady, gentle rocking of the ship again, as opposed to the near launch out of the bed she had the morning previous.

 She sat in silence for a moment, thinking of the day previous. A small panic over came her when she remembered she was no longer wearing her purple dress again. She sat up and looked around the room finding that, at the bottom of the bed, was the Captain's jacket. She put it on before getting out of bed.

 When she placed her foot down on the floor, the floorboards creaked beneath her. She had thought nothing of it previously, but she was shocked when she heard the sound of someone stirring. Sure enough, in the Captain's chair, was the Captain himself sleeping in a uncomfortable looking position. Although he had stirred, he didn't wake to her getting up.

 Signe felt bad for making him sleep in his chair with his head against his chest, although she had no clue how to make him more comfortable at this point. Doing her best to make no sounds, Signe slowly began to walk over to the chair, being careful to avoid the spots that she knew would creak the loudest. Although, she didn't make it very far.

 Halfway to the desk, there was a knock at the door. Instantly, Jack's eyes were open and he was awake. He was seemingly calm as he looked up, but when he saw Signe nearly standing directly in front of him, he rushed to his feet, sending the chair flying backwards again. He quickly put his hand on his waist, where his cutlass should have been, but he had not put it on. It took him a good while of him staring to remember just who it was that was standing in front of them.

 During the entire thing, Signe stood completely still, shocked in her own right at the crazy actions of the Captain. They maintained eye contact through the whole thing, not saying a word. They only looked away from each other when there was another sound at the door. It was a laugh.

 "Jesus, Cap. Did you fall in or something?" the voice laughed.

 Jack shook his head as to wake up further before walking to the doors, opening them. Once he had opened the door, he walked back into the room with the guest in tow. It was Gassy again, bringing their breakfast. Although none of the three said anything while Gassy set down the tray he had brought, he was laughing silently to himself the whole time.

 Gassy was walking out to leave again when the Captain called out, "Gassy! Not a word please."

 The chef held up his hands in defense, "Of course not, Captain. I would never." He laughed again before he shut the doors behind him.

 Jack was still silent as he picked his chair up off the ground, although Signe couldn't help but let a smile break across her face. Jack looked up at her, "What are you laughing about."

 At this point Signe could help but embrace the laughter. She waved her hands, "Oh nothing."

 Jack was smiling as well finally. "Yeah, well just eat your food." he laughed lightly.

 They sat down and ate their meal together, with Signe on the bed and Jack in his chair. They talked about yesterday more. She rubbed her head where the bruise most definitely was, although Jack swore it wasn't that noticeable. They talked about the storm for a while, and Jack's struggles with it, before Signe remembered another serious matter at hand.

 "Um...do you think my dress is dry today?" she asked.

 "Whether it's dry or not, it's certainly ruined." he answered sadly. "Your dress just wasn't made for swimming I'm afraid."

 "Well...I can't just wear my slip. I'd rather not, at least." she said timidly. She was grateful for his jacket, but she was still a little embarrassed. No matter how much she tugged at the hem, it didn't go any further than her thigh.