Chapter 4 - The Bridge

Five Days Later -

Five Days Later -

“There's the bridge.”

“And does it look passable?”

“I think so.”

“Good.”

Clementine gets after the rock and stands by Luke.

“We have to cross that bridge. Let's get going.”

“Hold on now, we can't all go sprinting across that thing, okay? If we get spotted out there, we’re gonna be trapped.”

“Going around that lake will take too long.”

“Right, but...look, we’ve got no idea who’s out there. Okay, I'm gonna sneak across and make sure it's clear before we bring the whole group over.”

“You think splitting the group is a good idea?”

“I never said it was a good idea. But it's better than riskin’ everyone at once.”

“What's your plan?”

“Clem and I can scoot across low and slow and make sure nobody's waitin’ for us on the other side.”

“We’ll have a tough time covering for you from back here.”

“Well, we’ll just turn back if it gets hairy.”

“Clementine should stay here, she’s…”

“She’s what?”

“She just a little girl, Luke.”

“She’s a valuable little girl.”

“I mean, hell, if she can sew up her own arm, she’s fit to cross a bridge.”

“I can do it.”

“See, no problem.”

“It's gonna be fine. Okay? We’ll signal you guys in ten minutes. Just watch for a light on the far side.”

Now is my chance.

Nick got up off the ground and stands up “I can go too...”

“You stay with the group.”

“I’m fine, Luke. I can help you guys.”

Luke just shakes his head and starts to walk away.

“If something happens, I’II cover you.”

Luke looks at Clementine “come on.”

Clementine and Luke walk away and Nick couldn't see them anymore.

Damnit!

-----------------------------------------------------

-A Few Minutes Later -

Nick had been waiting for a long time and he didn't want to wait any longer.

He decided to go after them and started running towards the bridge, with the others behind him.

When he got to the bridge, he kept running until he saw Clementine and Luke with a guy. Nick knew it was Matthew so, instead of aiming his rifle at him, he walk towards them.

“Nick, I told you to stay with the group.” Luke said

Luke sounds angry, he didn't shoot Matthew so, he didn't know why Luke was so angry for. Whatever…

Nick just rolled his eyes and looked away from Luke. He looked at Matthew instead.

“My name's Nick, who are you?”

“It's nice to meet you, I'm Matthew.” He said with a smile.

Nick gave a little smile back.

“So, is this the rest of your group?” He asked

Nick turns around and nods his head.

“Matthew, this is Alvin and Rebecca, Carlos and his daughter, Sarah.” Luke said

“It's nice to meet you all...I have a group at the ski lodge...we have food and you can stay the night if you want.” He said

“That sounds nice.”

-----------------------------------------------------

They all decided to rest before heading towards the ski lodge. Alvin and Rebecca were sitting on the log, with Sarah sitting on the ground, next to them. Luke and Carlos were talking. Matthew was getting food from the “little house”. And Nick was sitting on the bench, he was lost in thought.

He smiled to himself.

He saved Matthew, he didn't shoot him.

But, his smile started to fade as he looked around.

Would he be able to save the others and keep them alive?

“Are you okay?”

Nick looked up and saw Clementine, with a worried look on her face.

“I’m fine Clem...don't worry...I was just thinking, that's all.” He said with a smile

She smiled back.

“I am so hungry...what time is it anyway?”

Nick looked down at his wrist and saw that he didn't have his watch, that Pete gave him.

Shit...he forgot his watch back at the cabin.

Nick hits his fist on the bench, angrily “Damnit!”

He looked at Clementine.

She had the watch last time, please have it this time, Clem.

“What's wrong?” She asked

“I just left my watch back at the cabin, it's was Pete's, he gave it to me. It was all I had left of him.”

Clementine smiled “I think I have it.”

“Really?”

Clementine nods and reaches into her backpack. She gives him the watch and he grabs it.

Nick smiles “Thank you, Clem...thank you.”

He puts it on his wrist. He hears a door open and sees Matthew walk out.

“Sorry guys, I only have two cans of food for two people until we get to the ski lodge.” he said

Nick nods his head “I think we should give it to Rebecca.”

Clementine nods her head too “Me too, we should give it to her.”

“Ok.” Matthew said as he starts heading towards Rebecca and Alvin.

Clementine and Nick smiled at each other, they walk towards the others.

“You guys ready to go?” Matthew asked

Everyone nods their heads.

Matthew smiled “let's go.”

They all started to head towards the ski lodge.