Second Chance Chapter 2 - It's All My Fault

Lurkers were banging on the doors as Nick and Clementine were holding the doors close. Nick looks down at Clementine and then, the lurkers almost get in. Nick and Clementine push the doors again.

"Nick, find something!"

Nick nods and walks to the back of the shed. He picks up a big box and goes back to the doors, he pushes the box against the doors. When he sees that it will hold, he sighs in relief. Clementine turns to him.

"Now what?"

"...We're gonna have to wait...sorry kid."

Clementine rolled her eyes "I'm not a kid."

Nick looked down at her "You are to me."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick sat down on a chair near a table and was thinking to himself. He didn't save Pete, the same thing happened, and it's all his fault. He looked around and saw a piece of plywood covering what was behind it, on the shelf. He knew alcohol was there, jars of whiskey. But, he wasn't going to do what he last time. He was depressed and getting drunk last time, he wasn't going to do that again. He was sad but, he needs to focus.

He looked at Clementine, he didn't have a good "friendship" with her and it was really bad after he killed Matthew, he would always get angry at her and Luke last time. But, he cared for her and still does, he was gonna try to control his anger around her and he wasn't going to kill Matthew this time. He is going to change things, he failed to save Pete but, he wasn't going to failed everyone else, he was going to make sure of that. He promised himself and everyone else that too.

"Nick?"

Clementine snapped him out of his thoughts, he turned and looked at her again.

"What is it, Clem?

Clementine looked a little surprised. Nick put his hand to the back of his head and looked down, nervously.

"Sorry, I won't call you that, if you don't want me to."

Clementine smiled at him "No it's fine, you can call me that, if you want to."

Nick looked at her and smiled back. She got a sad look on her face. Nick was about to ask her what's wrong but, she beat him to it.

"I'm sorry about Pete."

Nick got sad again and looked down. But, he looked back up at her and gave her a sad smile.

"Thanks..."

It was silent for a few minutes and Clementine was looking around. Nick decided to say something to break the silence, he said it almost in a whisper.

"It's all my fault..."

Clementine turned around and looked at him, she heard him.

"No it's not..."

"Bullshit..." He said this, quietly.

Clementine was about to say something but, Nick continue to talk.

"First, my mom...now uncle Pete..."

"What happened to your mom? I know what you guys told me, that you guys took care of someone who was bitten, they turned, and attacked her. But...um..."

I wish I could go back and save my mom but, it's in the past, nothing I can do about it. I might as well tell her the truth, the rest of it.

"I had to kill my mom...sounds weird when I said it out loud..."

Clementine gave him a sad look and sat down on the ground.

"After she was attacked by that lurker and was bitten in the neck, Luke killed it, I ran to my mom, she was on the ground now. I was putting my hands on her neck to try and stop her bleeding out."

"No...mom...you can't do this...you can't die...please don't leave me!"

"She put her hand on my cheek and tried to talk to me...but, she couldn't talk because most of the side of her neck was gone."

Nick reached up and touched the side of his neck.

"Don't try to talk...you are going to be fine, mom...Carlos help me please!"

"Pete gave me a gun and told me that I had to do it, I took the gun and aimed it at her head. I didn't want her to suffer anymore."

"I am going to miss you...I love you mom...goodbye..."

"She gave me a smile and I pulled the trigger, I-I shot her in the h-head."

Clementine looked down for a second, probably taking in what I just said to her then, she looked up again.

"I'm sorry, Nick."

"Thanks, Clem."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-A Few Hours Later -

Nick opened his eyes, he didn't remember falling asleep. He saw Clementine sitting against the box that was against the doors. He thought he should wake her up, the lurkers should be gone by now, he didn't hear banging on the doors anymore. They needed to get back to the cabin, Nick remembered Carver comes to the cabin and he needed to warn the others.

Nick got up from the chair and walked towards Clementine. He started to shake Clementine to wake her up.

"Clementine?"

Clementine pushed his hand off her shoulder and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes.

"What is it?"

Nick smiled at her "We can go now."

Clementine looked around and then, nods her head. Clementine got up and put her backpack on her back. She stepped away from the doors and Nick moved the box out of the way. He opened one of the doors, a few lurkers was walking away, they just had to be quiet. Nick walked out first with Clementine behind him. A lurker was walking towards them and was reaching for Clementine but, Nick pushed the lurker. It fell backward and he stepped on its head while it was down.

"Thanks, Nick..." Clementine whispered.

Nick smiled at her, they walked slowly until they were in the woods. Then, they started to run the rest of the way to the cabin.