Chapter 7. The Dark Knight Brings People Together

"Lydia will you please stop screening my calls? I know that you're screening them, because you keep sending me to voice mail... call me back." I sighed as I hit end and tossed my phone on my bed in annoyance. 

This is the most ridiculous "fight" in the entire world. That's Lydia for you though, if you offend her or make her feel like you don't need her-- then she will go to extreme lengths to prove that she doesn't need you either. All I said was that I didn't want her to set me up on any more dates with stupid lacrosse players. 

I said that not because it was her that set me up on the date, but because the guy wasn't him. Until she sets me up on a date with Stiles, then I don't want any more of her help. Not that she would even set me up with anyway, she can't stand Stiles. And that happens to be another reason I am kinda done with her trying to set me up with people, because she only sets me up with people whom she see's as an acceptable guy to be with. 

Being Lydia's best friend is so exhausting sometimes, and friendships shouldn't take this much effort. I shouldn't have to apologize for feeling a certain way, and I most certainly shouldn't have to apologize for not wanting to go on a date. To be honest, if I didn't love Lydia so much, I would stop speaking to her. 

I'm making her sound like a bitch, I know I am-- don't get me wrong, she totally can be the biggest bitch you will ever come across, but she is also my best friend. When I am having my worst possible days, she shows up at my house with She's The Man on DVD and a box of chocolate chip cookies that are still warm. 

Whatever. I'll just have to talk to her at school, I'm not gonna sit here and wait for something that isn't going to happen. With a huff of annoyance, I snatched my phone and bag as I stomped down the stairs. I have no desire to go to school today, especially when I know that Lydia has probably been running her mouth to everyone about how she isn't speaking to me right now. Danny has already texted me twice telling me that Jackson told him Lydia is fuming. Awesome.

My mom just happened to walk through the front door as I went to pull it open. Her white blouse was buttoned incorrectly and her hair was a mess, not to mention her coral colored lipstick was smeared. What the actual hell? She never looks like this, like... ever.

"Mom?" I questioned, surely this couldn't be my mother. It has to be some clone or something, that scenario seems so much more likely to me at the moment.

Her eyes widened in surprise, "Kennedy, oh... I thought you'd be gone already. Aren't you late for school?"

"No... what happened to you?" I asked slowly, taking in her disheveled appearance. She stepped into the house and closed the door, dropping her briefcase onto the floor gently. 

"You should really be getting to school, dear." She responded as she casually strolled into the kitchen, ignoring me and my question. 

I don't have the mental stability to deal with this right now. The thought of what she had done last night in order to look like that, makes me sick. She hasn't dated since my father died, and if she is picking now to finally move on, I'm going to be pissed. Why would you wait eight freaking years? Great, now I have a headache the size of Asia.

"So she's pissed at me?" I asked Danny as he sat down beside me in History. Lydia has been avoiding me all day. I caught her ducking into the bathroom, thinking I didn't see her, when I was at my locker. 

He nodded, "From what I've gathered it's just as bad as the Victoria's Secret Yoga Pant's fiasco of Freshman Year." 

"Oh god." I moaned as I hit my head against the desk. The Yoga Pant's debate was awful. She had said that I couldn't wear Yoga Pant's to school because it would totally ruin my image, so I wore a pair just to spite her. She didn't speak to me for nearly two weeks because she was embarrassed to be seen with me. That was the biggest argument we have ever gotten into.