Just My Cat and I Tonight - Revived

I jumped with fright as I felt the vibration of my phone jolted my leg. I sat up straight in my chair and pulled my phone from my pocket. It was a message from Leila.

Leila: Hey, you do realise the deadline is today?

Me: Yeah I’m done. Must have had a snooze on my computer. Coming into the office in five minutes to hand it in. Where are you?

Leila: I’m at the office and guess who’s here?

Me: Surprise me

Leila: Lover Boy

Lover boy is Leila “subtle” code name for Conner.

Me: Really, why?

Leila: He’s talking to Matthew

Me: Oh okay, well I’ll see you in ten.

Leila: Okay, see you then.

I dragged my sleep deprived body to the tube, still not fully recovered from my nap. I had stayed up almost this entire week finishing my article. I had seen Conner twice this week but there was no attempts of the kiss he tried to make last week. Delight bubbled up inside of me as I fantasied of the moment that could have been, however was soon replaced by erupting anger that burned against Jasper.

After I made the commute to the office, I printed my article. I stared at the source of my sleepless nights and all I could see was black ink marks that seem to form letters, sentences and then paragraphs. Even though my mind was on standby I was still able to collect enough thoughts to marvel at the black ink marks on the page. I was genuinely proud of them; I had worked so hard forming the pattern that had printed on the white sheet of paper. I grasped it with my hands and held it to my chest as I walked along the corridor to Matthews’s office.

A few moments later, I knocked on his door. A tried and ruffled voice answered the knock, “Who is it?”

“It’s Claire; I have my article for you”

“Oh, come in Claire,”

I opened the door and took in my surroundings. There was a classical painting pinned on the wall and his desk was decorated with a picture of his family. It’s hard to think of your boss having a life outside of work.

Matthew gestured to a seat and I sat down. He pulled his eyes away from his Laptop and looked up at me. I hadn’t seen Matthew in days, but he faced told the story of his week. His bags were unusually defined, he looked older and he wasn’t nearly as well groomed.

He held out his hand and I gave him my article and immediately stress was released from the body. I took a deep breath, knowing that one of the most important articles in my journalism career had been given to the mercy of my boss.

Matthew was silent for a few minutes as he was jotting down notes on a piece of paper. He looked up at me and smiled weakly.

“You like tired Claire,” he asked knowing all too well the answer.

“Yeah it’s been a pretty stressful week. Full of over nighters and early starters,” I answered.

“Yes that sounds about right, but are you happy with the end product?”

“Very,”

“Good, so as you know to reward you for your work you are aloud an extra week in London while I finish up on business matters,”

“Yeah and home the following Monday,”

“Yes home, it doesn’t really seem to exist amongst the crowded chaos,”