Just My Cat and I Tonight - A Taste of London

A/N: I hope you enjoy this chapter, I certainly enjoyed writing it! By the way most of the prices are genuine, besides the Cappuccino's price.

I waited around the taxi pick up zone, waiting for one to pull up. I had being waiting at least thirty minutes in the queue for the cabs. I mean I know that I have next to no patience, but this is ridiculous. I decided, instead of distressing myself on the matter at hand, I would sit down on a nearby bench and soak in the London air.

After another fifteen minutes of waiting I decided to give up on the London taxi (there would be plenty of other chances to ride in one) and headed for the tube. The place in London which has always been my dream location is Piccadilly Circus. Unfortunately the hotel my boss had picked wasn’t in Piccadilly; however I decided to have a quick detour and go there on my way to the hotel.

After many minutes of searching I found the airport tube station and after waiting a couple of minutes, the tube was waiting for me. The outside was predominantly graffitied with a tinge of white. I walked on and I could smell the years of service it had given to the London people and as I walked to a seat I caught a glimpse of colour from the chewing gum splattered under the seats.

I sat down, taking in all the details, then reaching into my bag, grabbing my book and started to read. I had always dreamt of this moment where I would be sitting on the tube heading towards Piccadilly, reading my book (strange I know) but it’s kind of novelty thing.

It took about ten minutes to arrive at Piccadilly Circus. My heart gave a giant leap when the PA announced that Piccadilly Circus was the next stop. With a childhood grin plastered on my face I carefully placed my book into my bag, waited for the train to stop, walked to the door and stepped out. I tried to avoid the urge of taking a picture of the Piccadilly Circus sign however I couldn’t resist. I snapped a quick picture, trying my best to look more like a journalist, rather than a tourist.

After climbing two escalators – which caused me to immediately regret that I didn’t go to the hotel first and drop of my bangs – I heaved my bangs up one more flight of stairs towards the light of Piccadilly. The second I stepped out of the underground station, I was in awe. I looked up and saw the famous advertisements. The fountain was standing high and mighty in the middle of the roundabout. As I stood fixed in an upright position the native species that inhabited Piccadilly decided to give me a warm welcome. In that very instance I felt a slightly warm substance hit my shoulder. I quickly turned to see what it was – even though I knew perfectly in my mind what the substance could have been – and saw the pigeon dropping on my shoulder already soaking into my new top. I let out a little squeal and quickly grabbed out my tissues from my bag and wiped it off. Oh well, I didn’t really like that top anyway.

After my gift from the birds above I suddenly heard an earthquake from around the area of my stomach. It came to my attention that I was now hungry. However I knew I wasn’t in the mood for something fancy, just simple. I looked around to weigh up my options. First there was McDonalds; maybe not can’t really afford the extra calories.  There’s some random French restaurant, which I can’t pronounce the name, so I’m not going to eat there. I walked around in desperation to find a simple restaurant. Then out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of one word I had being dying to put into action. On the overside of the street was a café named Eat. Sounds simple enough. I walked in and the soothing smell of fresh hot soup filled my nose. That’s when I decided that my stomach was hungry for some nice hot soup. I walked up to the counter and looked up at the menu. It seemed that their soup menu was organized in days. For example certain soups were only available on certain days. Since today was Wednesday I turned my glance towards the Wednesday selection. After many crucial minutes of deciding I came to the conclusion of ordering the Wild Forest Mushroom soup. Also the caption below the description of the soup was ‘less than 5% fat’, this defiantly appealed to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not what you call fat, but the extent of my exercise consists of a twenty minute run around the block (which I don’t do as frequently as I could).