Just My Cat and I Tonight - Right or Wrong

“The Korean Branch adds a new field to the newspaper and gives us the advantage of the market,” cried John Marvel, a member of our newspapers elite sales marketing team.

“Well that’s all very well and good, however expanding into foreign markets when we have enough finical troubles here, maybe isn’t the best idea,” replied Ben Martin impatiently.

“Yes, it might be a risk, however that’s what we need to lift the profile of this newspaper,” snapped John.

Both had been bickering for almost thirty minutes now, even Matthew look half asleep. I looked down at the notepad in front of me and took a couple of minutes to marvel at my new creation. However since drawing isn’t my strongest forte I quickly grabbed the notepad and tucked it away into my bag before anyone noticed.

Suddenly there was a loud shout from John, this awaken all the present sleepers and gave Matthew a fright. He patiently said, “Okay, maybe we need to rethink this venture and in a month’s time I want a full report and presentation concerning the matter from both you, okay?”

“No problem,” John and Ben said, snarling at each other.

Matthew spoke his final words and dismissed us. Instantly there was a loud chorus  of sighs including one from Matthew.

Everyone departed as quickly as possible only to find themselves back at their desks with a mountain of work waiting for them. I decided to start work on my section of the spread. The five of us working on the London spread were all given our own working area, away from the extensive concentration of cubicles.

We all packed down deep into our work for what seem like hours. We all were planning are articles; some jotting ideas on paper and some typing furiously away at their keyboards. Every now and then you would hear the sound of one of us franticly scribbling on their paper and giving a deep sigh.

By the time I was satisfied with the planning I had accomplished, it was 12:30. I stood up and while organising my things to allow my desk to look reasonably presentable, I asked Laila whether she wanted to grab some lunch. Laila obviously deeply engrossed in her work didn’t response immediately, however looked up a few moments later and asked me to repeat the question.

“Do you want to go for lunch?” I asked again.

“Oh right, yeah sure, what time is it?” she replied.

“12:30,”

“Okay, let’s go, catch you guys later,”

As we were leaving, Jasper shouted out after us “Hey, wait up, I could do with some lunch,”

I wasn’t entirely glad about the situation, considering I really wanted to talk to Laila about her article without the detestable ear belonging to Jasper listening in.

Despite my dislike for the situation, the three of us walked out of the office and hunted for a suitable place for lunch. We all decided on a quaint café near the office. As we ventured through the café’s doors, a small whiff of fresh coffee filled my nose.

We grabbed a table and searched through the menu for something to eat.

The meal orders were in and what I predicted the worst 30 minutes ever began.

“So, how are you enjoying London so far?” Jasper asked with a suspiciously non-sarcastic tone. “What have you guys been up too? Done any shopping?”

“Okay cut to the chase Jasper, why the small talk?” Laila asked suspiciously.

“Oh, so I can’t make a general enquiry to my colleagues without the prediction that I’m up to something,” he shot back.