Chapter 12

The sun shines down. I squint and put my hand over my eyes. Matt lays next to me, still asleep. I stretch my arms up to the sky. The previous day washes into my mind. I feel tears spring to my eyes. A little sob escapes me. Matt stirs. He sits up and looks at me. “Is everything all right?” I want to scream at him and tell him nothing is all right, but I hold back.

“Yes,” I choke out. “Are you sure?” He asks me in a low whisper. A tear falls down my cheek. Matt lifts his hand to my face. He wipes the tear away.

“I hate it when you cry,” He tells. He pulls me close to his chest. I start to sob uncontrollably. His arms are wrapped around me. “Sh, sh, sh,” He whispers in my ear. I finish my crying. I pull away. I look into his eyes. He smiles slightly. I wrap my arms around him. He always was a great friend, although it seems he wants to be more than friends.

“What do we do now?”

“Anything we want.”

“You said that last night,” I remind him. “That shows I'm persistent, doesn't it?”

“No it shows you're impatient and annoying the crap out of me.” 

Ryan's P.O.V.

I wake up with the sun shining on my face. I must have lied down last night and fell asleep. I'm not sure how I fell asleep without her laying next to me. 

I didn't want to leave her. I really didn't. I love Julie, but Matthew loves her too. It tore her apart when her best friend told her he was going to leave. I didn't want her to have an empty hole where Matt was in her heart. So, I left instead. It hurts me to know she will fall in love with Matthew at some point and I'll just be a memory.  

I stand and look around. I suppose I could find the nearest village and find a job of some sort. It's my only option at this point. I pick up my bag. I pull out a map. My finger traces a trail to the town nearest here. It looks about a mile away. I roll up the map, put it in my bag, and start walking. 

I look up at the gnarled trees, all the branches entangling with each other. I wish I could entangle with Julie. 

After about 20 minutes I see a gateway. I run for it. My bag hit my hip over and over again until I come to a stop. The gates are closed. I knock several times against the wood. A slot opens up. Two blue, green eyes stare at me.  “Who goes there?” A gruff voice asks.

“I am Ryan White. I'm here to look for a job and a house to live in.”

“Are you a beggar?” The gruff voice asks again.

“No. I'm a blacksmith. I make my own money.”

“What brings you to Martingale?” A name. I don't want this man to know my entire life story, nor why I left Caraway.

“I left my hometown in order to find a better life for myself. My father was an abusive man,” I lie. Sorry, father. I don't like to shame you, but it's my only option. The gates open. I always was an amazing liar when I wanted to be. I walk in. The many people bustling around is comforting. Maybe I could actually find a better life here. I life without regret, pain, heart-break.