Chapter 9

That short time Matt and I were kissing replays again and again in my head. Is it cheating on Ryan? We haven't even made out yet. Does that mean we aren't meant to be together? Maybe I'll find out what to do at the end of my book. I read on and on the entire time we walk. I finally reach the end. Well, that doesn't help me. In the end she doesn't end up with either of them. I guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

We walk for a long time. “So, where are we going?” Matthew asks.

“I do not know,” Ryan answers. I look at the both of them.

“Maybe we could go to the ocean,” I state.

“Or the mountains,” Matt says.

“How about the hills?” Ryan tells.

“Either way I want to find a permanent home,” I declare.

“First let's find a place to stay tonight,” Ryan expresses. I shrug. We come to a clearing. Tonight's the night. The full moon. I set my stuff in a tree. The sun is setting. Matt sets his stuff on a branch next to mine. I climb back down. “Did you tell him?” Ryan asks.

“Yes. He knows.” I look him in the eyes. I give him a huge hug. He hugs me back. I kiss him on his warm lips. He kisses me back. I let go of him and climb back up the tree. He walks away from the clearing. Matt ties a rope to his waist then ties it to the tree trunk. He lies down on the branch. I do the same. I hope Ryan doesn't feel too much pain. The sky gets darker and darker by the minute. Stars pop up in the sky. They shine brightly. The moon shines. It is back to its regular gray color. I look all around. It's mostly just trees and branches. An owl starts hoots. Other than that the night is silent.

          I hear screams of pain and agony. I must have dozed off. I look over at Matthew. He's still fast asleep. He has always been a deep sleeper. I untie myself and climb down the tree. This is crazy, Julie. Do you not remember? Ryan could kill you! I walk in the direction of the yells. A few minutes later they stop. I keep walking. A twig snaps. I gasp and turn around. It's just a squirrel. It spreads the skin between its arm and body then glides to another branch. I let out a huge breath I didn't know I was holding in. I start walking again. I come to another clearing. I look for Ryan. I feel like calling out to him, but knowing at the same time that if I do I could risk being killed. Maybe he left me. Maybe he thought he couldn't keep himself from hurting me. I turn around to go back to Matt. Something is blocking my way.

          A large wolf stands in front of me. Its fur is black as night. Bright yellow eyes stare at me. The wolf takes one step forward. I take one step back. It takes another step. This time I stay still. The wolf takes another step forward. I take a step forward. I step one more step forward. The wolf stands right in front of me. It nuzzles my hand. I lift my hand up and set it on the black wolf's head. I rub it gently. Flashbacks of me rubbing Ryan's head softly, on the day Josh died flash before me. “Is it you? Ryan, is it really you?” I ask out loud. It looks as if it nods it's head. I wrap my hands around his huge neck. “I was so worried about you. I thought you left me.” He puts his head on my shoulder. I yawn. “Sorry, I'm tired.” I pull away from Ryan and yawn again. He lies down on the ground and curls up into a ball. He looks up at me. I lay down next to him. He keeps looking at me. I crawl over to him and lay on his wolf body. He closes his eyes. I do the same. I fall asleep.

          I wake up to the sound of birds twittering. I open my eyes and notice I'm lying on Ryan's chest. He's in human form. I smile to myself. I made it through the night. The sun is shining brightly. I sit up. I stretch my arms. Ryan opens his eyes slowly. “Good morning,” He says.

“Good morning. I better get back to camp. Follow me a few minutes later.” I start to stroll away. As I walk I pick berries. I get back to the clearing. Matt is pacing back and forth.

“Where were you? I was just about to go look for you.”

“I was picking berries.” I set them in his hands. “I didn't get very many though.” I climb up the tree and grab my things. Ryan comes into the clearing. “Thank god you're okay!” I say while climbing down the tree. I run to him and hug him. I kiss him on the lips. He kisses me back. I walk back over to Matt and steal some of his berries. I put some in Ryan's hands and eat the rest.

“Come on. We should get going,” Matthew says while stuffing his face with berries. We stride away from the clearing. It was nice sleeping on the soft fur of Ryan's wolf body. One night done. Many to go.