run...and caught?

Thorn's POV:

"Okay, so let's do this.", I said. I was trying to be the hero in this specific situation,  but to be honest..I was scared. Ready..but scared.

I looked at Addison, who was practically seconds away from breaking into shakes of fear. I had the feeling that she was experiencing the same thing I was---she wasn't scared of leaving, per-say...she was scared of what exactly would happen if we got caught.

If we got caught, it would all be on me. I was the one driving away, and I really couldn't see how it would be possible to live with myself if I let the girls get caught.

I was booksmart, yeah...I'll admit that. But having book smarts wasn't quite pertinent to this particular escape. You had to know your real way around...which I felt like Penny had our backs on.

Addison was more of a distraction, the person who could probably get us out of anything easily,  if we found ourselves needing it. She was nice, it was hard to get or stay mad at her.

"Okay.", the girls said together.

I sighed.

Okay, Thorn. You can do this.

****

Nightfal had taken complete reign. You couldn't see anything even if it were right in your face. I went to the girls room, from my...room...

I told them I was going to be back soon, as I was going to switch off all the lights and breakers to the building. I knew Michaelson's sleep schedule...he was sleeping right now, so I took the chance to get into his office, where all the switches were.

I held my breath, making no sound at all as I went into the office. All the lights were switched off right now anyway, so they wouldn't know the switches were off and unplugged, and the fuses were blown, until they tried to switch them back on...which wouldn't be for awhile, considering the fact that we were all supposed to be asleep at the moment as it was.

And everyone was, except the three of us.

I made sure I was quiet as I tiptoed back out of his office, and ran swiftly and silently back to Penelope and Addison. They were anxiously and fearfully waiting for me.

"Did you get it?", Penny asked curiously.

"Yeah, you guys are sure you're ready?", I asked one last time.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be.", Penny simply stated.

"Me too.", Addie agreed.

"Okay. I guess this is actually happening."

I got them out of the room (honestly, don't ask how I get to do all of these things..it doesn't matter right now...), and led them out into the dark hallway.

Rain.

I heard it.

"Thorn. I'm scared.", I heard Penny whisper. That was the first time I had ever heard the girl speak of fear. I looked down at her, and saw her eyes in the darkness.

It was then that I realized that I had fallen in love with Penelope Rose Allen. In the most unlikely of circumstances, in the most unlikely of places. But nonetheless...I had fallen in love with her.

"It's okay. We're okay.", I whispered back.

We all three walked out silently, partly crawling there, actually, to the doorway.

Now.  The problem was...how do we get out the door without making it creek...

I don't know how, but somehow Addison got the door open, and I hadn't even heard it.

"There.", she said--and although I couldn't see it, I knew that there was an accomplished smile on her face.

We got outside and ran as fast as we could, through the rain. It had been a pretty easy escape, so far...but I had never done it because I didn't have the correct motivation. Now I had found it. The girl I was in love with, and her equally as amazing sister.

We ran...and then suddenly....

Addison's POV:

Police sirens. I heard them.

"You guys? Do you hear that?"; I was already getting terrified...as if R.J. had sent people after us already. A few tears welled up in my eyes as the sirens got closer.

Penelope's POV:

I was scared. I didn't know what was about to happen...

I yelled to Addie that I loved her, just in case this was the last chance we had. She returned the phrase.

I decided to take my chances, so I turned to Thorn...though I barely saw him under the dim light of the street to nowhere that we had ended up on.

"Thorn. I love you. Like, I really love you."

Thorn's POV:

She just said she loved me.

"Penny, I--", I tried to stutter out a reply, but the sirens were rapidly approaching. So instead,  I did something before I missed the last chance I had.

I cupped her face gently, leaned down, and kissed her.

I didn't think Addie saw, and we pulled away just in time for her to have run up to us. "Guys. I'm terrified...what if they're coming to take us ba--"

But she was cut off from her sentence,  by a figure stepping out of the car and running rapidly towards us.

"TALIA?!", Penny and Addie screamed simultaneously as they all three burst into tears and ran to hug each other.

"You're alive? Thank God you're alive. I wasn't going to give up on you. Oh my gosh, you're alive. You're alive.", this new girl, Talia, said through pants and tears, hugging Penny and Addie tightly.

But the celebration was cut short. 
A male figure was approaching, instructing Talia to back up once again to the car. He was talking into a walkee-talkee on his right shoulder next.

As she was backing up to the vehicle, and before the guy reached us, Penny and Addie turned to me.

"What's about to happen?", Addison asked, tears still in her eyes.

Addison's POV:

"I don't know for sure, but I know that in the end, everything is going to be alright. And if it's not alright..then just know that its not the end.", Thorn said in a low voice.

And, man, was he right. This was just the beginning of the longest series of trials that I would ever have to endure, as long as I would live.

**End of book one, 'Fines'**