All The Right Moves

“Why didn’t you tell me you were real? All those years I just thought you were my imaginary friend.”

“That’s the way it had to be.”

“Why? Who sets the rules? What exactly is it you want from me?”

“I have superiors just like everyone else. I go where I’m told.”

“And they sent you back to me?”

“Apparently they think you need more guidance than what you’re getting. I have to say I agree with them. Your file reads like a Buffy episode.”

“I make my own decisions Max.”

“Like sleeping with Aidan?” He tsked me. “That wasn’t a very good choice.”

“I don’t really care what you think. Up until a few minutes ago I didn’t think you were real.”

“You’re in trouble. That’s why I was sent back to you. Apparently more than you realize. There are big things coming and if you don’t make the right choices everything is going to be shot to hell. Starting with the Vampire.”

“Leave Michael alone, Max. He hasn’t done anything wrong.”

“He hasn’t exactly done anything right either. Why did you have to fall for a Vampire? They are treacherous down to the core of their being. There has never been a good Vampire, Georgie, you know that.”

“Stop calling me that, I’m not seven anymore.”

He paused before answering. “You’re right. You are a young woman now with a huge set of problems.”

“Everyone has problems.”

“Everyone isn’t you and your problems aren’t small.”

“Max…” I turned away and rubbed my forehead. My headache was horrible. “Can we not start in on my problems? I already know what they are.”

“You need to fix them.”

“I’ll move it right to the top of the list as soon as I deal with this headache.”

“I’m being serious.”

I rolled my eyes and headed to the bathroom. I grabbed the Tylenol and poured four into my hand. I went back out into the bedroom and over to the side table where a pitcher of water and a glass sat. I took my Tylenol and prayed it worked fast.

“Anything else?” I asked, draining my glass of the rest of its contents.

“Do you really want me to answer that?”

“Look, Max,” I put my glass down and looked at him, “I have a lot on my plate. I don’t know how to deal with half of it. And right now just isn’t the right time to sit around and…”

“Drop both of them. I told you. Neither of them are good for you. All though I do praise you for choosing your first time to be with someone normal, a mortal.”

“Aidan is off limits too.”

“Drop him Gee, before things get messy. And they will, very fast.”

“How do you know so much about all of this? You’ve been out of my life for years, years.”

“I keep tabs on you. I do it with all my favorites.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere. You know that.”

“I thought maybe that one might have changed.”

“Not a chance.”

“Then take my advice, drop Aidan. Drop them both.”

“I’ve already tried.”