Paint Me A Picture Of Pain

When I woke up I packed. We left for home as soon as everyone was ready. Michael accompanied us, afraid I might do something stupid. They hadn’t heard the rest of the message and didn’t push for me to tell it but I got the feeling they knew exactly what it said. I stayed awake the whole eight hours home. When we got there I got out, Luke said he’d take the bags back to the house. School was in session but I skipped all of that and headed to Aidan’s room. The matron didn’t say anything when I entered, he probably figured there were no boys then there’d be no trouble.

I stood in front of Aidan’s door for what felt like hours before I opened it. The door was unlocked just like I expected. Michael stayed out in the hallway as I went inside. I flipped on the light and found the room completely trashed. Security had come through, just like he said. I closed the door behind me and rested against it. Taking it all in. The bed had been tossed, papers, clothes, and books were scattered across the room.

I couldn’t stand it, the mess. I fixed the bed and made it. I put the books back on the shelf and gathered the papers in a pile. I put them on the desk where his computer used to be but they took that. On the top shelf of his desk used to be a picture of us, taken randomly one day. The frame remained, face down, but when I picked it up the picture was gone. I flipped it over and took the back off, a folded piece of paper popped up. I unfolded it and there was a rough sketch of me. One of his firsts I would imagine since it wasn’t all that great. Technically the only way I knew it was me was because my name was printed at the bottom in preteen writing.

I sank down in his desk chair and rested my head against the wood.

Why Aidan? Why would you do this?

I still couldn’t believe it was him even thought he told me himself. I still didn’t understand even though he explained it. I heard the door open but I didn’t look.

“Georgiana,” my father’s soft voice drifted through the room.

I choked on a sob and looked up at him. “Hi Daddy.”

He came in and closed the door. “What are you doing here, honey?”

I just stared at him like he was crazy. I looked back down at the sketch and folded it back up. I shoved it in my coat pocket and turned the chair to face him.

“He wasn’t…Daddy…he wasn’t…”

My father looked stern, like he was about to launch into lecture mode.

“He hurt your brother, Georgiana, no matter the reason. Sophie too.”

I nodded, choking on my tears.

“You shouldn’t be here,” he continued. “In fact I never want to see you in this room again.”

I looked up at him, keeping my anger to a dull pin prick.

“Daddy, I’m the only one left that…”

“After you leave today, you will not be allowed back. Is that clear?”

“Who is packing his stuff?”

“Staff.”

My anger boiled. “His parents…”

“They asked that we send his things. They’re not coming.”

“Then I’ll do it. I’ll pack his stuff.”

“Georgiana…”

“Daddy,” I said sternly. “I will not have his things tossed around again. I will not have someone pack up his room that didn’t care about him.”

“Georgiana…”

“I’m serious. I’m the only one left. I’m his family, Daddy. I will pack up his room.”