-- 30 --

The ringing in my ears wouldn't stop.

It was comparable to a high pitched wail, and I, for an instant, forgot where I was. It was like I was on a different planet, the brain inside my head spinning around on its hinges.

I then snapped back into reality and inhaled a sheet of ash. I knew that my throat was on fire, but I couldn't quite place why. My eyes were pinned shut, and for the life of me I couldn't get them to open. Besides my vision, all of my other senses were undoubtedly heightened. I heard a faint crackle in the background, but it didn't sound like kindling. Perhaps, it sounded most like two pieces of rusted metal scraping against each other. I couldn't quite tell. After a while of dangling upside down, as I realized I was, I noticed something acutely nibbling on my heel. It was a type of pang that wasn't quite comfortable, and I'd have to say that as the time progressed, it became more explicit. It felt like the needles were crawling through my skin and trying to tear it away from my body.

I opened my eyes.

The smoke instantaneously made my eyes water, and I knew breathing was futile unless I wanted to suffocate on my own vomit. My muscles froze under the pressure of the situation, and knowing that if I didn't get out of my current compromise, I'd probably pass out. Or, most likely, die, which wasn't too promising. I tried finding my voice, but all that came out was the sound of a penny getting dragged across the pavement by a worn sneaker's bottom.

You know in those movies when your life flashes before your eyes? Yeah. That doesn't really happen. All that happens is that your smacked with all of the dreams that you know you want to fulfill, and know that if you die now, you won't be able to do what you really love. Be with who you really love. And that's arguably the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

I scrambled for the seatbelt by my hip, realizing my hair was flying freely by my ears. The leather behind me started to warm, and I realized the fire was starting to eat its way through the trunk. How it managed to do that, I'd never know. Unhooking myself from the belt, I fell to the ground, which in this case was the left back door. Something triggered a pain to leap through my body, and I cried out into the clogged air. My cries were muted. I heard coughing. A lot of it. It sounded raspy and pained. I knew Perry was dying. I could smell it: the roasting of his lungs. My voice didn't reach him.

I reached up to the right side door, barely locking my hands around handle when a sporadic puff of combustion came pouring in through the cracked window.

My eyelids were drooping, and everything turned a bit hazy. It felt slightly like I was under the influence of alcohol. I can't really explain it. There's nothing like it.

My fingers began to tremble, and before I knew it they gave out, and I withered to the ground. My back touched the arm rest, and only then did thoughts of family and loved ones enter my mind.

My mom came first, her arms swung wide open. The biggest lopsided grin was on her face and just by looking at how stupid she was made a chuckle bubble up from inside me. I missed her.

Then came Taya, Rog, and Carter. They were standing there all with their hands pressed together as we stood around the birthday cake they got for me. Their faces were happy, and I was glad for this.

Then came Jason. He was sitting on the ledge by school, the wind sloppily throwing his hair all around as if it was a rag doll.

Then Nate appeared, his face emotionless and shoulders hunched. He was half-turned, and sparing me one final glance, he pivoted and wheeled away. Then I was alone.

I had reasons to live. I had to live for them.

Unconcerned with the amount of time I'd held my breath, I lunged for the door, and pushing it open with all my might, it tumbled away and into the nearby brush. I climbed the leather, and with my muscles straining, they quavered and groaned as I heaved myself out of the car. Black exhaust covered me, and I took this opportunity to breathe in. Contaminated air filled my lungs, but it was better than nothing. My throat burned and throbbed, and I coughed until I couldn't feel anymore. I rocketed off of the overturned car, and crawling away, I barely made it four feet before the vomit came. It felt like a major plug was removed from my system, and I was refreshed. For the time being.