-- 24 --

My mind glazed over with thoughts of Bristol, my poor, Mexican dog. My baby Chihauhau.

She was so terrified at the abruptness of my actions. It was quite comical, in all sincerity. The way her spine jutted out, and her neck hunched over. The way her tail tucked between her quivering legs, and the way her brown coat of fine litle hairs seemed to stand on edge.

Anything to protect herself.

Now unfortunately, I didn't have anything to shield myself from Nate's prying glare, so I froze in my tracks, staring right through him.

I didn't see him.. I didn't see him! La-la-la-la-l...

His skin was coated in a fresh paste of sparkles, most likely the rain. I don't think he's Edward Cullen.

A scarf was wrapped tightly around his neck. It was orange and red, with multiple holes and loose strands popping out. The thing, it was a strange little thing. With the entire span of it being porous and ill comforting, it surely wouldn't capture enough warmth to keep his neck cozy.

His eyes flickered uncertainty, and glancing between me, the computer, and the steaming plate of food on the counter, they flashed recognition. His lips quivered into a snarl, and eyebrows lowered, I truly felt like Bristol.

Before he could lunge out and steal my neck in his claws, I dove beneath his covers, and curled into a ball, as if the lame excuse of a blanket could protect me from him.

If I can't see you, you can't see me! The covers will shield me from him! Yes! I won this round, Nate R--

The skin of warmth above me suddenly wisped away, and I was left to shiver in the cold.

"Did you think I couldn't see you?" He tested blandly, an uncommon ring to his voice. A small smile graced his lips, and he shook his head down at me. And that's when the memories of last Saturday came hurtling back at me for remembrance faster than light itself.

A tear pooled in my eye, and I swiped viciously away. There was no way in hell that I was going to cry over him. Well, maybe not, but definitely not here.

"I guess it was too much to hope for." I grumbled, sitting upright and crossing my legs. Defiant strands of hair whizzed lazily over my vision, and I blew them away, only to have them come back and tango on my tongue.

I swatted them away, my face growing red with frustration, and a melodic chuckle made the room grow ten notches brighter.

I stopped mid-swat, and stole a look at Nate, who was now by the dresser. His scarf was unwound from his neck, and he held the steaming plate of Americanized Chinese food in his hands. He licked his lips, and set it down at his desk, only then freezing and realizing his computer was already turned on.

Charlie's message flickered across the glowing screen, the words imprinted in my mind. Guilt washed over me, a battering tsunami's wave. I felt as if I was caught stealing a government's secret. I felt damned.

Nate read over the screen for an eternity, his fingers tied in tangles.

"Did you read this?" His deep voice croaked out. He sounded drunk. Broken. So many qualities that I wouldn't even begin to count.

"N-no?"

"God, damn Ela. Why can't you mind your own business?" He spontaneously screamed, his ears aflame. He flipped his shoulder to face me, and Bristol came back to my mind. Cowering in fear from me. The roles were reversed now.

"You are my business!" I barked. "I'm your babysitter! Plus, I only came up here to give you food. Not intrude on your 'business'."

He unconsciously stomped over to me, a slew of insults escaping his lips. "Just, take care of my brothers. Not me."