Part 9 Deal

NOT EDITED

___________________________

I felt disappointed that he had left, I wanted to help. It was selfish of me to force my help on him. Some people were just not ready to be helped and they needed to work out things on their own. I still felt like chasing after him, but I didn't.

Instead I went to the kitchen to get some cereal for breakfast but then I found what he had left me. He made me French toasts, powder sugar and honey sprinkled on top with slices of apple on the side. There was a cup of orange juice, freshly squeezed. I was stunned.

I couldn't remember the last time someone made me breakfast and I couldn't believe he had made this, I didn't even realize I had these ingredients. It was beautiful. I almost didn't want to eat it but I did. I didn't even move from the counter in till it was all gone.

When I lifted the plate to put it in the sink I realized two things, he had cleaned up the whole kitchen and there was a note. It was simple there was only two words written on it "thank you" but those words made my heart constrict. I stared at his beautiful handwriting in till my alarm to leave went off and I had to rush to get ready.

I made it to work with one minute to spare, which I used to check the alley by the building. He wasn't there but whenever I had a break I would check there first. I was so distracted all day that I kept making mistakes and believe me I was hearing about it.

"I said no creamer" Jennifer says looking at her afternoon coffee then back at me like I was an idiot.

"Sorry... I will go get you a new one" I say with a sigh. She usually took it with creamer and being in autopilot lead me to that mistake. I was surprise of what little I was able to do.

"Just bring me some a cup of coffee black with sugar packets on the side" she says annoyed.

"Sure I will be right back" I say with a tight smile. I just couldn't take any of this crap today. I should have called out I had some sick time I could use. But now that I was here I had to toughen it out.

"These numbers are wrong. If you make one more mistake I won't hesitate to fire you" he said but I knew it was an empty threat he knows how much he needs me.

Anywhere else firing a receptionist must be easy and replacing no problem but one that would put up with their crap was not likely to come around. It also reminded me that I needed to get my head in the game. I needed to call that places I applied back for an interview. Just yesterday someone had called me right after work but I was too distracted by the cops to pay attention to them.

"Hello my name is Isabella-" I began to explain why I was calling. I had decided to go on a much needed break even though I knew if my boss found out he would be mad. I just needed to see that light at the end of the tunnel maybe it would get me out of this crappy attitude.

"Tomorrow at 10 am is our last slot left" the other person on the line made it sound urgent. I was the last applicant to arrange an interview. I was sure I was one of the first but at this point now.

"That sounds great" I reply faking a cheerfulness I didn't know I had. I didn't know how I would manage to get to work so late but I would have to call out sick. There wasn't any other way. I was sure my boss wouldn't let me come in 2 hours late.

"I'm waiting for an important call... where were you?" Jennifer asks tapping her foot at my desk.

"Bathroom break" I say in a hush tone which has her taken back. I was sure that if I had said break she would have lost it.