Chapter 23

Chapter 23

After what had happened with Hunter, I'd been more cautious around school. I told Elliot, and he told me that Hunter couldn't have me.

"He had the chance to be with you," he said. "Now your mine." Without warning, he slipped his arms around my waist and hugged me from behind. I smiled and rested my head against his chest.

"Yeah," I murmured. "I'm yours."

He lifted my chin up with his index finger and thumb. "And always will be," he said. His eyes glittered with love, then he closed them and leaned down. I stood on my tiptoes, closing mine as well, and held him close as I kissed him.

It was one of those rare moments, though, when it didn't turn into a full make-out session. It was a sweet, relaxed kiss. When we parted, he still held onto me. I put my hands over his as they rested against my stomach, and turned my head to look at the lake again.

It was December fourteenth, the day before my birthday. Elliot said that there was a winter festival, and wanted to take me. I agreed happily. We rarely got time alone, but when he told me we would get our own private spot, I was ecstatic.

Now we were standing at the edge of the lake, bundled up and holding each other, waiting for the surprise Elliot wanted to show me. Hundreds of other figures stood on the opposite side of the lake, standing by bonfires and dancing. We, however, decided to break the rules and take the path to the other side to be alone.

"What's the surprise?" I asked, resting the side of my head on his jaw.

"You'll see soon enough." He looked up at the sky, and I followed his gaze. The stars and constellations glittered in the darkened sky, and reflected down on the calm water of the lake.

"It's beautiful," I breathed.

"No," he said. I glanced at him, confused. "You're beautiful."

I couldn't help but smile. It was cheesy, but even I had to admit it was sweet. And what really got me... is the fact he really meant it. "Thank you," I replied.

He kissed the top of my head and gazed at the water. Suddenly, a huge noise, sounding like a gunshot, rang through the air. I jumped, frightened, but calmed when I saw blue and white colors cover the sky. Now I knew why Elliot brought me here. For fireworks.

"Fireworks?" I asked, turning my head to him.

He nodded, then a worried look covered his face. "You don't like them?"

"Nope," I hummed. When he looked even more worried, I smiled. "I love them."

His face relaxed and he pulled me closer. "I knew you did."

We looked up at the sky again, and I was awed by all of the beautiful fireworks. I've seen fireworks before, but these were by far the most impressive I've ever seen. Bright colors streamed through the darkened sky, lighting up it up for miles. Reds, purples, oranges, and greens collided with the blues and yellows. Multi-colored ones flashed through as well, along with white swirly ones and ones that made shapes.

"Avery?"

I found it hard to take my eyes off of the lit up sky, but since it was Elliot, I made the exception. "Yeah?"

"Happy birthday," he said, holding out a tiny, black velvet box. I stepped out of his arms and turned towards him, glancing from him to the box.

"Elliot," I said. "You didn't have to get me anything."

"I wanted to," he insisted. He held it out to me further and I finally took it from him slowly. When I hesitated, he urged me. "Open it."

I lifted open the top part of the box and my jaw dropped a little. Inside was a silver, heart-shaped locket. The colors from the fireworks glinted off of the shining silver as I picked it up. When I clicked the locket open, inside it said, 'I love you'.