Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"Avery?" He narrowed his eyes, clearly confused. I didn't blame him, though. I shouldn't even been here.

I looked over my shoulder to see Elliott standing at the edge of the hallway. I closed the door enough so Hunter could only see me.

"Avery?" I froze when Elliott's voice rang in my ears. "Is everything okay?"

Hunter widened his eyes in shock, then narrowed them again, glaring at me. "Is that... Mr. Taylor?" he sneered.

My stomach dropped, but I refused to give this up. I needed to come up with something.. and fast.
"Uh," I stammered. "No, it's my uncle. He wanted to give me something for my birthday-" I shut my mouth when he held up his free hand.

"I get it. It's probably another boyfriend you have," he said with a hint of defeat. He looked at the white slip of paper in his hand. "That'll be fifteen twenty-three."

I stared at him, gaping. "Why do you think that?"

"Because I know when you lie," he said, half-smiling. I stepped outside, closing the door behind me. He stepped back, but not as much as I wanted him to. I crossed my arms against the cold and stared at him.

"Since when do you work at a Chinese place?" I asked.

"Remember that little incident when I got drunk and stormed into the classroom?"

"Little?"

He shook his head, evading the question. "Anyways, I got put into jail for being intoxicated on campus. My dad bailed me out, and said I would have to get a job to pay him back everything."

"Oh..." I said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a tiny box. My name was written on it in Sharpie, and it was wrapped in newspaper.

"Oh, by the way," he said. He held it out to me. "Happy birthday, Avery."

I gazed down at the box and hesitated. Hunter got me something for my birthday?

"Hunter..."

"Don't," he interrupted. "Just take it."

I took it slowly, still gazing at him. "Thank you," I whispered.

"No problem," he smiled. "Now, fifteen twenty-three please."

"Oh, right," I said, handing out the twenty. "Keep the change."

We exchanged the food and money. "Thanks, Avery."

I nodded and turned to go back inside, food in hand, but stopped. "Hunter."

He stopped and turned to look at me. "Yeah?"

I knew I was going to regret what I was about to do, but I knew he at least deserved something for getting me a birthday present. He raised his eyebrows when I stood in front of him, wonder deep in his eyes. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek fast, then retreated back to the door.

"Thanks again." I didn't bother looking at his face a last time. I opened the door and slipped inside, then locked it behind me. I sighed, leaning against the door, food and present in hand.

"Avery, who was that?"

I straightened up as Elliott walked towards me. "Oh, um... it was Hunter."

His face hardened and his eyes grew dark with a hint of jealousy. "What did he want?"

I held up the food with a 'Duh?' look on my face. "He delivered the food?"

Elliott took the food from me and walked next to me back to the living room. "And what else?"

I hesitated, contemplating whether to tell him or not. I couldn't lie to him, and besides, he would see the box anyways. There was no where for me to hide it without him noticing. "He gave me a birthday present."

He stiffened and turned to me, but kept his voice level. "What was it?" It was almost like he was scared to hear what I was going to say.

I held up the box, and he relaxed a little. "This."

"What is it?"

I shrugged. "I dunno."

"Are you going to open it?"

"Later, probably."

"Why not now?"

I gazed at him and narrowed my eyes. "Why should I have to?" When he didn't respond, I put my hands on my hips. "What's wrong with you?"

He looked away from me. "Nothing."

"That's a lie and we both know it," I pressed on. "Now come on, tell me!"

He slammed his hands down on the counter and turned to me. "Because I don't want him to hurt you again, Avery!"

I stepped back, scared and speechless. I had never seen him this angry- or protective- before. "He won't," I choked out, blinking back the tears that threatened me.

"How do you know that, Avery?!" he shouted.

"What makes you think I'm going to go back to him?!" I countered.

"I saw you kiss him, Avery!"

I gasped, putting my hand to my mouth.  "I only pecked him on the cheek," I said defensively.

Elliott fought to keep calm. I could tell, because his voice was filled with hurt and his eyes were cold. "You still have feelings for him. I know you do."

The tears finally escaped, and I took a step towards him. "No, I don't..." I tried to reassure him.

"Then what was that?" He pointed down the hall, towards the door.

"I owed him that much."

"Why should you owe him anything?"

"Because I thought I loved him, okay?!" I shouted, suddenly getting my voice back. This time it was Elliott's turn to take a step back. He opened his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it. "You don't think it was hard for me? When he cheated on me with that girl? Well you're wrong! I thought I loved him, there! Is that what you wanted to hear?!"

He closed his mouth and his eyes glittered with the oncoming tears. He turned away from me before I could see any fall, though. I sighed, wiping my nose with my sleeve. Regret washed over me. Without saying another word, I grabbed my keys off of the coffee table and walked out the door, only hearing his quiet sobs echo through my mind.